For the Year 2012, I posted 48 Best of the Genea-Blogs posts. I missed the weeks of 1/1, 5/13, 5/20, and 12/30. There were 141 different genealogy blogs featured in those posts, and a total of 453 blog posts.
While quantity is not necessarily the best metric, for something like a "Best Of" summary it's the only metric I have to determine which genea-bloggers were listed most often in my series. Therefore, here are the top 20 listed in order of number of mentions (note that persons with multiple blogs are ranked by adding the blog totals):
1) Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog (35 mentions)
2) James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog (21 mentions) and FamilySearch Tech Tips blog (1 mention).
10) Michele Simmons Lewis on the Ancestoring Ask a Genealogist blog (10 mentions)
12) Pat Richley-Erickson on DearMYRTLE's Genealogy Blog (9 mentions)
12) Writer's on Leland Meitzler's GenealogyBlog blog (9 mentions)
15) Janet Hovorka on The Chart Chick blog (7 mentions)
18) Lee R. Drew on the Family History with the Lineagekeeper blog (6 mentions)
18) Michael Leclerc on the Mocavo Genealogy Blog (6 mentions)
18) Thomas MacEntee on the Geneabloggers blog (3 mentions), Flip-Pal Mobile Scanner Genealogy blog (2 mentions) and Destination:Austin Family (1 mention)
If someone asked me "what genealogy blogs do you recommend," these 21 would be on my list, along with quite a few others not on the list above.
Check out last year's post about the Best of the Genea-Blogs - for the year 2011. 11 bloggers are repeaters on this year's list.
My thanks to all of the active genea-bloggers who fill my day with news, views and experiences in the world of genealogy. I estimate that I read over 300 blog posts each and every day, and I try to highlight 10 to 20 posts each week. The Best Of posts highlight about 0.1% of the candidates. I have a bias for thoughtful, poignant and humorous posts... Obviously, I don't read every genealogy blog there is, but I do have over 1,300 on my reading list. If you know of a really good genealogy blog, please tell me about it - send me a link in a comment to this post and I'll add it to my Google Reader list.
For this past week, the following genea-bloggers took the time to compile their own Best Of list:
* Follow Friday - Fab Finds for December 28, 2012 by Jana Last on Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog.
* Anyone else?
Please read their lists and click on their links.
For what it's worth - this is Post #274 in the Best of the Genea-Blogs series! That's over five years of trying to review the world of genea-blogs (started 23 September 2007).
I really enjoyed reviewing my lists today - I cannot remember every post that I've listed, but it was fun refreshing my memory.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/12/best-of-genea-blogs-for-2012.html
Copyright (c) 2012, Randall J. Seaver