* their son, #30 James Abraham Kemp (1831-1902), who married #31, Mary Jane Sovereen (1841-1874), in 1861.
* their daughter #15 Georgianna Kemp (1868-1952), who married #14 Charles Auble (1849-1916) in 1898.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Sarah Sephrona Fletcher
* Alternate Name: Sarah Fletcher
* Alternate Name: Sarah Kemp
* Alternate Name: Sephrona Kemp
* Sex: Female
2) INDIVIDUAL FACTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 7 July 1802, probably Quebec, Canada
* Census: 1 June 1851 (age 48), Ameliasburg, Prince Edward, Ontario, Canada
* Death: probably before 1861 (before about age 59), probably Hastings, Ontario, Canada
3) SHARED FACTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Abraham Kemp (1795-1881)
* Marriage 1: 16 April 1818 (age 15), probably Prince Edward, Ontario, Canada
* Child 1: Waity Catherine Kemp (1820-1899)
* Child 2: Mary Ann Kemp (1823-1903)
* Child 3: Stephen J. Kemp (1826-1880)
* Child 4: William H. Kemp (1829-1886)
* Child 5: James Abraham Kemp (1831-1902)
* Child 6: John L. Kemp (1834-1920)
* Child 7: Peter Evans Kemp (1837-1921)
* Child 8: Andrew Hait Kemp (1840-1915)
* Child 9: Sarah Jane Kemp (1843-1891)
* Child 10: Charles W. Kemp (1845- )
* Child 11: Wesley Kemp (1847-1891)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
The names of the parents of Sarah (Sephrona?) Fletcher are not known. The 1851 Canada West Census indicates that she was born in "France" (which probably means Quebec) and that she practiced the Roman Catholic religion at that time.
A Kemp family Bible was in the possession of a descendant of Abram Kemp (1795- after 1881) of Norfolk County, Ontario.[1, 3] A transcript of the Bible was typed at some unknown time and a copy of the transcript was donated to the Orange County (CA) Genealogical Society and placed in the Huntington Beach (CA) Public Library in Orange County, California, where I found it in the stacks in the early 1990s. The second page includes these notes:
Abraham Kemp was married to Sarah Fletcher on 16th April 1818.
Ab'm Kemp 4 Nov 1795 (4 Dec 1795)
Sarah Kemp 7 July 1802 (about 1807)
Waty C. Kemp 23 Sept 1821 (23 Dec 1820)
Mary Ann Kemp 20 July 1824 (20 Feb 1823)
Stephen G. Kemp 7 Feb 1826
W.H. Kemp 4 March 1829
Ab'm J. Kemp 22 May 1831
John L. Kemp 28 Apr 1834 (about 1835)
Peter E. Kemp 28 Feb 1837
Andrew Kemp 6 Nov 1840 (6 Nov 1839)
Sarah J. Kemp 2 June 1843 (about 1841)
Chas. W. Kemp 14 Sept 184-
Wesley Kemp 16 Nov 1847 (16 Feb 1849)
In the 1851 Canada Census for Canada West (Ontario), the Abram Kemp family resided in Ameliasburg, Prince Edward County, Ontario. The household included:
* Abram Kemp - a farmer, born in U.S., W. Methodist, age 55, male.
* Sephrona Kemp - spinster, born in France, Catholic, age 44, female
* Abram Kemp Jr. - labourer, born in Canada, W. Methodist, age 21, male.
* John Kemp - labourer, born in Canada, W. Methodist, age 17, male.
* Peter E. Kemp - labourer, born in Canada, W. Methodist, age 14, male.
* Wesley Kemp - born in Canada, W. Methodist, age 4, male.
That Sarah and Sephrona are names for the same person is supported by three marriage records of her children with Abraham Kemp. Peter Evans Kemp's marriage record in 1875 indicates his parents are Ab'm and Sarah Kemp. Wesley Kemp's marriage record in 1874 indicates his parents were Abram and Sarah Kemp, and Andrew Hait Kemp's second marriage in 1905 indicates his parents were Abraham and Sarah. Wesley Kemp was born in 1849, and his mother's name was Sephrona in the 1851 census.
Sarah (or Sephrona) (Fletcher) Kemp may have died before 1861.
In the 1861 Canada census in Huntingdon township, Hastings County, Ontario the Abraham Kemp family included:
* Abraham Kemp - born C.W. (Canada West), Wesleyan religion, age 65, male, married, member of family
* Ann Kemp - born C.W. (Canada West), Wesleyan religion, age 55, female, married, member of family
* Wesley Kemp - born C.W. (Canada West), Wesleyan religion, age 13, male, not married, member of family.
This implies a second wife for Abraham Kemp.
There is no apparent death or burial record for Sarah (or Sephrona) Kemp.
1. Unknown, John Evans Kemp Family Bible transcript (Transcript at Huntington Beach CA Public Library), Sarah Kemp birth entry.
2. Census of 1851, Prince Edward County, Ontario, A, District 32, Prince Edward County, Subdistrict 304, Ameliasburgh township, Page 42 (penned), Lines 14 to 19, Abram Kemp household; digital image, Library and Archives Canada (http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1851/index-e.html : accessed 10 March 2013); Library and Archives Canada Microfilm C-11750.
3. Unknown, John Evans Kemp Family Bible transcript, Abraham Kemp and Sarah Fletcher marriage entry.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/01/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-week-54-61.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver