Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.
2) Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.
3) Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries. If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5! Or 10!! Or 20!!!
4) Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, in a status or comment on Facebook, or in Google Plus Stream post.
NOTE: If you can't figure out how to do this in your GMP (Genealogy Management Program), use the Help button and search for "count persons" then follow directions.
I'm going to use RootsMagic 7 because that's where I'm doing my current additions, deletions and editing and is my most up-to-date collection. In RootsMagic 7, go to Reports, then Lists and scroll down to "Surname Statistics List." I then chose "Frequency of Surnames" from the list presented.
That took about 20 seconds and I have a 156 page list! I didn't count every one of them - there are 156 pages with 39 names per page. That's a grand total of about 6,060 surnames in my database with 45,030 persons. The top 20 are, with birth date ranges:
* SEAVER - 4,955 persons, from 1608 to 2015
* BUCK - 747 persons, from 1577 to 1997
* SMITH - 698 persons, from 1526 to 2013
* VAUX - 488 persons, from 1620 to 2012* FITZ RANDOLPH - 479 persons, from 1565 to 1884
* SEVER - 417 persons, from 1673 to 2014
* NEWTON - 325 persons, from 1600 to 2008
* RICHMAN - 299 persons, from 1598 to 1985
* BRESEE - 255 persons, from 1650 to 1900
* BROWN - 227 persons, from 1580 to 2000
* CARRINGER - 205 persons, from 1758 to 2015
* McKNEW - 203 persons, from 1640 to 2007
* CLARK - 181 persons, from 1561 to 2008
I didn't see a way to get a count on first names - can anyone figure this out in RootsMagic 7, or in another program?
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.