* My Relationships to United States Presidents - Post 1: 39 to 44 (posted 2 October 2014),
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 2: Presidents 34-38 (posted 13 November 2014),
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 3: Presidents 28-33 (posted 16 January 2015),
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 4: Presidents 22-27 (posted 16 March 2015).
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 5: Presidents 16-21 (posted 26 June 2015)
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 6: Presidents 11-15 (posted 7 August 2015)
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 7: Presidents 6-10 (posted 16 October 2015)
Here are the next five going back in time:
1) James Monroe (5th President of the United States) is my 11th cousin 6 times removed, according to Geni.com:
My line back goes through John Pers (1588-1661) of Watertown, Massachusetts according to Geni.com. I don't know if the parentage of John Pers is correct in Geni.com or not. I have not found any authoritative work that says his father is Richard Percy. However, I do have a line back to John of Gaunt, but through Thomas Dudley (1576-1653) of Massachusetts. John of Gaunt is my 18th great-grandfather. I can't comment about the line from John of Gaunt to President James Monroe. My judgment is that I may be related to James Monroe, but not through the Pers/Percy line.
2) James Madison (4th President of the United States) is my 5th cousin 6 times removed according to Geni.com:
3) Thomas Jefferson (3rd President of the United States) is my 7th cousin 6 times removed, according to Geni.com:
4) John Adams (2nd President of the United States is my 5th cousin 7 times removed:
However, I do have a common ancestor with John Adams - that being Henry Adams (1583-1646), my 10th great-grandfather through his son Peter Adams (1622-1690). President John Adams is Henry Adams 2nd great-grandson through his son Joseph Adams (1626-1694), so I guess that makes President John Adams my 3rd cousin 8 times removed. Perhaps my line is incomplete in Geni.com? I will have to remedy that!
5) George Washington (1st President of the United States) is my 7th cousin 8 times removed:
The common ancestor, according to Geni.com, is John C. Cooke (1473-1516) of London, England. My line from him goes through 4 Cooke names, then Robert Williams (1607-1693) of Roxbury, Mass., whose daughter Elizabeth Williams (1620-1663) may have married Richard Cutter (1621-1693), my 8th great-grandfather. However, the birth years don't add up for the Williams father and daughter. Therefore, I doubt that I am related to George Washington through this line.
6) I did not check the records for each relationship shown in the charts above from Geni.com. I am confident that my lines back to the immigrant ancestors from England are correct, but I have no idea how accurate the lines are from the immigrants back to some of the common ancestors to the Presidents. Some are well researched, and have entries in the book by Gary Boyd Roberts, Ancestors of American Presidents (1989).
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver