My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Upcoming Ancestry DNA Update -- Urgent! by Roberta J. Estes on the DNAeXplained - Genetic Genealogy blog. Roberta shares the coming changes to AncestryDNA. Follow her suggestions!
* AncestryDNA Alert by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy reflects on the upcoming AncestryDNA changes.
* AncestryDNA Plans Update to Matching Algorithm by Blaine Bettinger on The Genetic Genealogistblog. Blaine has more information about AncestryDNA.
* Success! Finding Wrongly Transcribed Names on Census Records by Dana Leeds on The Enthusiastic Genealogist blog. Dana shares her success - it's a useful tip!
* Probate 101 or The Real Life Drama of the Thomas B. Royston Estate by Diana Elder on the Family Locket blog. Diana takes us on a scenic tour through the probate record of her ancestor.
* Mobile Genealogy Apps – Apps for Desktop Genealogy Software by Alona Tester on the Genealogy & History News blog. Alona reviews available genealogy mobile apps.
* 3 Things to Periodically Do in Your Genealogy Research by Amy Johnson Crow on the Ancestry.com Blog. Only three?
* Adding Historical Context to Your Ancestor's Life by Jake Fletcher on the Legacy News blog. Jake has excellent suggestions.
* War of 1812 Bounty Land Warrant Applications by Dayne Jacobs on the On Granny's Trail blog. Dayne shares how she found this useful record about her ancestor
* What I learned from my first DNA experience, and what's next by Geoff Rasmussen on the Legacy News blog. Geoff finally had some DNA testing done, and was successful in finding probable relationships.
* Where Are the Free Family Tree Maker Updates? by Keith Riggle on the Genealogy Tools blog. Keith has news on the Family Tree Maker updates.
* Was Great-Grandpa's Name Changed at Ellis Island? by Lorine McGinnis Schulze on the Legacy News blog.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking April 21, 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 22 April 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Family Tree Friday Five #1 by Beth on the Walking with Ancestors blog.
* Friday Finds for Week Ending 22 April 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Follow Friday ~ Fab Finds for April 22, 2016 by Jana Last on Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- April 23, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 23 April 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (April 23, 2016) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1590 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/04/best-of-genea-blogs-17-to-23-april-2016.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.