My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Archiving: Overcoming emotions with working with Dad's files by Pat-Richley-Erickson on the DearMYRTLE Genealogy Blog. Pat wants to work on her family archives, and Melissa Barker answers her process questions.
* Chaining Deeds by Meaghan E.H. Siekman on the Vita Brevis blog. This post demonstrates this useful process for house histories.
* 10 Ways Marketers are Making you Addicted to Genealogy by Janice Brown on the Cow Hampshire blog. Janice has great "click bait" genealogy blog titles, including this title. LOL.
* 4 Steps to Better Genealogy Research Plans by Jake Fletcher on the Legacy News blog. Jake has excellent ideas.
* The Value of Continuing Education by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy is re-certifying and explains why this has to be done on a regular basis.
* Getting Recharged by Michelle Ganus Taggart on the A Southern Sleuth blog. Michelle reviews the BCG Lectures at the FHL on 7 October.
* Cost of DNA vs. Documents by Debbie Parker Wayne on the Deb's Delvings in Genealogy blog. Persuasive?
* Darned Records:! I'm My Own Grandmother by the writer of The Ancestry Insider blog. A true story, apparently.
* The Ancestor Snapshot Box – what a fantastic idea! by Jenny Lanctot on the Are My Roots Showing? blog. Jenny shows off her ancestor snapshot box on her blog. Good idea - I guess I missed Colleen's posts before.
* Mystery Monday: The Disappearance of George McClellan: Life and Death in Boston by Mary Blauss Edwards on the Of Graveyards And Things blog. Mary solved a longtime family mystery with a Seaver twist. Read all of the series - fine work!
* San Diego History Day -- Genealogy Day by Debby Warner Anderson on Debby's Family Genealogy Blog. Debby reports on the two Anne Mitchell talks at this event.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking 14 October 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 14 October 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Friday Favorites for October 14, 2016 by Heather Kuhn Roelker on the Leaves for Trees blog.
* Friday Finds - A Big Pile of Genealogical Garbage by Martin Roe on the Norwegian Genealogy and then some blog.
* Friday Finds 14 October 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 15 October 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- October 15, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (October 15, 2016) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
* Weekly Genealogy Picks and Calendar by John Newmark on the TransylvanianDutch blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/10/best-of-genea-blogs-9-to-15-october-2016.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.