My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* New Genea-Gem: U.S. State Digital Collections by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog. Linda highlights several state archives, and provides links to the state archives of all 50 states.
* How to Learn What Your Ancestor's Life Was Really Like by Diane Haddad on the Genealogy Insider blog. There are some good ideas here.
* Ancestry V1 vs V2 – Shared DNA and Relationship Predictions by Roberta J. Estes on the DNAeXplained -- Genetic Genealogy blog. This is fascinating to me, and the table is a great idea.
* DNA Matching Now Out of Beta! by Esther on the MyHeritage Blog. Good news here.
* Happy 30th Birthday, RootsMagic! Part 5: The Origin of Family Origins by Bruce Buzbee on the RootsMagic Blog. The real story is here! Stay tuned for more.
* Family History Teaches Children We are All Connected by Katie Andrews Potter on The In-Depth Genealogist blog. Good thinking here, some interesting children's books too.
* DNA ~ Here’s how I’m keeping track of the correspondence I’m sending to matches by Diane Gould Hall on the Michigan Family Trails blog. Diane has an excellent idea.
* News Ketchup for 4 November 2017 by the writer of The Ancestry Insider blog. Some interesting news about FamilySearch and Ancestry.com.
* Our Reasons for Desiring to Vote (1880) by J.D. Thomas on the Words From Us blog. Not exactly a geneablogger, but some have participated.
* Benefits of Reasonably Exhaustive Research by Yvette Hoitink on the Dutch Genealogy blog. Yvette has examples from her own research.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking Nov. 4th 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 4 November 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Friday Finds 4 Nov 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 5 November 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- November 5, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Weekly Genealogy Picks by John Newmark on the TransylvanianDutch blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/11/best-of-genea-blogs-30-october-to-5_6.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.