My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Piece Work by Patty Vitale on the Vita Brevis blog. Patty discovered interesting things about her second great-grandfather and the death record for his wife.
* Record Access is a Major Genealogical Issue by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James highlights that even digitized records may not be available to review.
* Trip Notes by Israel Pickholtz on the All My Foreparents blog. Israel tells about one of the best genealogy conversations of all time.
* Decoding Scandinavian and Germanic Feast Day Dates by Angelyn Nelson Hutchinson on the FamilySearch Blog. This post describes the feast days which are really important for Scandinavian research.
* Dear Genealogy Santa by Devon Noel Lee on the A Patient Genealogist blog. Devon made a video with her Santa wish list, very well done!
* MyHeritage DNA Matching - What I Like About It by Diahan Southard on Lisa Louise Cooke's Genealogy Gems blog. Diahan describes the MyHeritage DNA matching and what she likes about it.
* Sarah's Quilt, 52 Ancestors #141 by Roberta J. Estes on the DNAeXplained - Genetic Genealogy blog. Real life in Kentucky was hard in Civil War times. Roberta's post explains.
* QuickLesson 24: Evaluation DNA as Evidence by Elizabeth Shown Mills on the Evidence Explained blog. Elizabeth provides examples of using DNA test results to define evidence levels.
* Do You Hear What I Hear? by footnoteMaven on the footnoteMaven blog. fM's yearly blog caroling post is wonderful.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Finds 23 Dec 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 24 December 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- December 24, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/12/best-of-genea-blogs-18-to-24-december.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.