Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) I have many females in my family tree database without a last name. One of those female first names is "Mary." Do you have situations like this, where you don't know the surname of some females? [I call them LNU persons - Last Name Unknown.]
2) How many "Mary" persons without a surname do you have in your genealogy database? How many of them are your ancestor?
3) If you have one that is your ancestor, have you looked recently to determine if there are more records online that might lead you to her surname? Go look for one - you might be surprised!
4) Tell us about your MaryLNU ancestors with no surname. Perhaps someone will read it and help you out!
5) Share your information in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or on Facebook or Google+.
6) NOTE: If you don't have any "Mary" persons without a surname, then pick another female first name.
I have 156 Mary LNU persons in my database of 46,561 persons. 40 of them are my direct-line ancestor. Almost all of them are persons born before 1700, and many of those were born before 1600.
Three of the most recent ancestors named Mary --?-- are:
1) Mary LNU (1700-1738), married in about 1720 to Johannes Trimmer (1700-1750), and mother of Matthias, Anthonius, Andreas, Amos, George, Herman, Hannah and Mary. Matthias Trimmer (1722-1793) is my ancestor, who married Anna Martha Nachbar (1724-????).
2) Mary LNU (1688-????), married in about 1708 to William Hawkins (1676-1744), and mother of Mary, John, Josiah, Job, Rufus and Sarah, all born in Rhode Island. Mary Hawkins (1710-1767) is my ancestor, who married John Tracy (1695-1751).
3) Mary LNU (1639-1677), married in about 1658 to Thomas Follansbee (1637-1725), and mother of Rebecca, Mary, Ann and Thomas, all born in New Hampshire Rebecca Follansbee (1659-1711) is my ancestor, who married Thomas Chase 1654-1734).
For these three Mary LNU, I looked on Ancestry Member Trees using the spouse's name, and did not find any real help. There are too many entries and they are not ordered in any rational way.
I also looked on the FamilySearch Family Tree and found:
1) Mary LNU who married Johannes Trimmer: there are two sets of parents suggested for this Mary: (1) Anthony Dierdorff (1683-1743) and Christiana Devers (1672-1730; (2) Johannes Christopher Wintermute (1655-????) and Christina Dierdorff (1683-1747). These are both good possibilities and I will try to follow up.
2) Mary LNU who married William Hawkins: no maiden surname or parents are given for this Mary (LNU) Hawkins.
3) Mary LNU who married Thomas Follansbee: There is one profile for Mary Bradford (1639-1680) who married Thomas Follansbee in 1659 in England. This one is worth following up on, since a set of parents are listed.
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver