It's Treasure Chest Thursday - time to look in my digital image files to see what treasures I can find for my family history and genealogy musings.
The treasure today is the 1860 United States Census record for my Auble great-great-grandparents and their family in Newark, Essex County, New Jersey:
The David Auble family entry:
The extracted information for the family, residing in the 4th Ward of Newark City, taken on 27 June 1860, is:
* Daniel Auble -- age 42, male, white, Shoe Store, personal property worth $500, born New Jersey
* Sarah Auble -- age 59, female, white, born New Jersey
* Wm A. Auble -- age 15, male, white, born New Jersey, attended school
* Mary F. Auble -- age 13, female, white, born New Jersey, attended school
* Chas Auble -- age 11, male, white, born New Jersey, attended school
* Kate Auble -- age 8, female, white, born New Jersey
* Anna Auble -- age 1, female, white, born New Jersey
* Mary Conglin -- age 26, female, white, Servant, born Ireland, over 20 years of age and cannot read or write.
The source citation for this census entry is:
1860 United States Federal Census, Population Schedule, Essex County, New Jersey, 4th Ward, Newark; Page 106 (penned), Dwelling #554, Family #753, David Auble household; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 29 October 2011); citing National Archives Microfilm Publication M653, Roll 688.
The errors I see in this enumeration include:
* Sarah Auble was born in 1818, so about age 42 in 1860, not age 59.
* Charles Auble (my grandfather) was age 10, not 11.
* Anna Auble was born in February 1860 according to the 1900 census, so she should be age 3 months, not age 1; unless the 1900 census is wrong...
I think it is strange that daughter Kate Auble is not in school at age 8.
Charles Auble's age in the 1860 census reflects his 1849 birth date, as did the 1870 (age 21) and 1880 census (age 30). In the 1900 census (age 35), 1910 census (age 55), his 1898 marriage record (age 34) and his 1916 death record (age 61), he lied about his age.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/01/treasure-chest-thursday-1860-us-census.html
Copyright (c) 2013, Randall J. Seaver
Post a Comment