Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:
1) Determine where your ancestral families were on 19 July 1914 - 100 years ago.
2) List them, their family members, their birth years, and their residence location (as close as possible). Do you have a photograph of their residence from about that time, and does the residence still exist?
3) Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook Status or Google+ Stream post.
* My grandparents Frederick W. Seaver (born 1876) and Alma Bessie (Richmond) Seaver (born 1882) resided at 290 Central Street in Leominster, Massachusetts with their children: Marion (born 1901), Evelyn (born 1903), Ruth (born 1907), Frederick W (born 1911, my father), and Edward R. (born 1913). I have recent pictures of this residence, which still stands in Leominster.
* My great-grandparents Frank W. Seaver (born 1852) and Hattie (Hildreth) (born 1857) Seaver resided at 149 Lancaster Street in Leominster, Massachusetts with my great-great-grandmother Sophia (Newton) Hildreth (born 1834). I have a 1910 picture of this house, plus recent photographs, which still stands in Leominster.
* My great-grandfather Thomas Richmond (born 1848) resided in Putnam, Connecticut, perhaps at 6 Church Street. I don't have a picture of that residence.
* My great-grandparents Henry Austin Carringer (born 1853) and Della (Smith) Carringer (born 1862) resided at 2105 30th Street in San Diego, California with their son, my grandfather Lyle L. Carringer (born 1891). Della's mother, Abbie A. (Vaux) Smith (born 1844), lived with them. I have many pictures of this residence, which now stands at 2115 30th Street..
* My great-grandparents Charles Auble (born 1849) and Georgianna (Kemp) Auble (born 1868) resided at 767 14th Street in San Diego, California with their daughter, my grandmother Emily Kemp Auble (born 1899). I have one picture of this residence, which was demolished many years ago.
So I have 14 direct ancestors living at this time, 100 years ago.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2014/07/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-where-were.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver