1) I participated in the Family History Fanatics webinar on Friday, 19 January, and presented my "Discovering Jane's Roots in California, Australia and England." Webinars are different for the presenter - there is no audience to observe and react to. I have no clue how many folks fell asleep.
2) Today's Mondays With Myrt on Zoom.us covered a lot of ground (as usual) - the new Study Groups, the Ancestry.com Member Trees indexing and sourcing issue, MyHeritageDNA tests and mcorrespondence with matches, and Trello for a white board.
3) I received a new 3rd to 5th cousin DNA match on MyHeritageDNA, and it contains a Lanfear in Jefferson County, N.Y. My 2nd great-grandfather Devier J. (Lamphier) Smith (1839-1894) was adopted by Ranslow and Mary (Bell) Smith in about 1840. I wrote about this in A Ray of DNA Hope for my Lamphier/Lanfear Mystery.
4) GenealogyBank has 273 "Recent Obituaries" for persons in Massachusetts with the last name of Seaver. There are 18,077 in all states, and 395 in California. I checked the first 45 in Massachusetts and added the text and source citation to my RootsMagic database. I sometimes find a maiden name of a spouse and find names for children and their spouses. There are a few Seaver persons for whom I don't have a profile in my RootsMagic database. I need to continue mining this data.
5) One of my society colleagues asked my help in finding the parents of one of her close DNA matches. She is corresponding with the match, who was adopted, but knew some of the information about her parents from family papers of some sort. I think I've found the birth parents and identified several siblings through birth record indexes. I think I've found a 2009 address and phone number for them other also.
6) I have 268 Shared Ancestors on my AncestryDNA list (I had 2662 last week), 700 4th cousins or closer (up from 692 last week), 596 pages (over 29,750 matches with at least 5 cM) (was 585 pages last week) of matches. I have 14 DNA Circles (no change for weeks). There were no new close matches (3rd cousin or closer).
7) I have 2,247 DNA Matches on MyHeritage (up from 2,089 last week) with at least 8 cM (0.1%). There was one new close match (3rd cousin or better) this week - see 3) above).
8) I have 1,150 DNA Relatives on 23andMe (down from 1,154 last week) who share at least 0.10% with me. Of these, only 1 shares 1.0% or more, 22 share 0.50% or more (was 35 last week), with the highest being 1.54%.
9) I have 2,272 autosomal DNA Matches on FamilyTreeDNA (up from 2,256) who share 0.25% (18 cM) or more, with the highest match being 1.42% (96 cM). I have 12 who share at least 1.0% (68 cM) with me, and 1224 who share at least 0.50% (34 cM) or more with me. I have had better luck finding shared ancestors with a few of these testers.
10) There were almost daily sessions working in RootsMagic to update FamilySearch Family Tree profiles for Seaver families and other ancestral families, with occasional additions to the RootsMagic profiles. I have matched 21,997 of my persons with FSFT. I now have 49,537 persons in my RootsMagic file. I TreeShare almost every night. There were also several sessions in Ancestry Hints to add content and source citations for the new RootsMagic profile additions. I've fallen behind on the Record Hints with 55,325 waiting to be resolved, but I'm working on it. Every time I add something to RootsMagic and TreeShare, the Hints multiply.
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.