Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) Michael John Neill wrote a blog post this week listing his ancestors that have an entry in the Social Security Death Index (SSDI). He had seven ancestors in the SSDI.
2) This week, review your files and determine which of your ancestors have an entry in the Social Security Death Index (free on FamilySearch.org - see https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535). How many do you have?
3) Tell us in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, in a status line on Facebook or Google Plus. Leave a comment with a link to your blog post if you write one.
* Father: Frederick Walton Seaver Jr (1911-1983)
* Mother: Betty Virginia (Carringer) Seaver (1919-2002)
* Grandfather: Frederick Walton Seaver (1876-1942) - none
* Grandmother: Alma Bessie (Richmond) Seaver (1882-1962) - none
* Grandfather: Lyle Lawrence Carringer (1891-1976)
* Grandmother: Emily Kemp (Auble) Carringer (1899-1977)
All eight of my great-grandparents died between 1913 and 1952 and are not in the SSDI.
So I have four.
A strange thing happened on my way to the SNGF. When I searched for my mother with "betty" and "seaver" died in "2002" the result did not appear on FamilySearch. I found her easily on Ancestry.com using the same search terms. I went back to FamilySearch and searched for "seaver" and died in "2002" and found the "Betty C. Seaver" entry. I searched for "betty c." and "seaver" and it did not find it, but it did find "c" and "seaver." So they must have misindexed "Betty" but it prints out as "Betty C. Seaver." Strange.
She's also the only one of my ancestors with an entry in the Social Security Application and Claims Index database on Ancestry.com.
The URL for this post is: https://www.geneamusings.com/2018/08/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-how-many.html
Copyright (c) 2018, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.