1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
Friday, December 14, 2018
52 Ancestors - Week 256: #381 Anna (Barber) Kenyon (1717-after 1800) of Rhode Island and Connecticut
Anna (Barber) Kenyon (1717-after 1800) is #381 on my Ahnentafel List, my 6th great-grandmother, who married #380 Sylvester Kenyon (1710-1800) in 1740 in Rhode Island.
I am descended through:
* their son #190 John Kenyon (1741-1831), who married #191 Ann Kenyon (1746-1824) in 1764.
* their daughter #95 Nancy Kenyon (1765-1833) who married #94 Joseph Champlin (1757-1850) in 1785.
* their daughter #47 Amy Champlin (1798-1865), who married #46 Jonathan Oatley (1791-1872) in 1813.
* their daughter #23 Amy Oatley (1826-1864), who married #22 Henry Arnold White (1824-1885) in 1844.
* their daughter #11 Julia E. White (1848-1913) who married #10 Thomas Richmond (1848-1917) in 1868.
* their daughter #5 Alma Bessie Richmond (1882-1962) who married #4 Frederick Walton Seaver (1876-1942) in 1900.
* their son #2 Frederick Walton Seaver (1911-1983) married #3 Betty Virginia Carringer (1919-2002) in 1942.
* their son #1 Randall Jeffrey Seaver (1943-living)
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Anna Barber[1–3]
* Alternate Name: Ann Barber
* Alternate Name: Ann Kinyon
* Sex: Female
* Father: Moses Barber (1652-1733)
* Mother: Susanna West (1666-1756)
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 8 October 1717, South Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island, United States[1–3]
* Distribution: 17 December 1733 (age 16), father's will proved; South Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island, United States
* Distribution: 4 April 1756 (age 38), mother's will proved; Charlestown, Washington, Rhode Island, United States
* Death: after 9 May 1800 (after about age 83), Sterling, Windham, Connecticut, United States
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Sylvester Kenyon (1710-1800)
* Marriage 1: 7 April 1740 (age 30), North Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island, United States
* Child 1: Giles Kenyon (1740- )
* Child 2: Sylvester Kenyon (1741-1838)
* Child 3: John Kenyon (1742-1831)
* Child 4: Abigail Kenyon (1744-1814)
* Child 5: Paul Kenyon (1746- )
* Child 6: Moses Kenyon (1750-1824)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
Anna Barber was born 8 October 1717 in Kingstown, Rhode Island, the 14th and last child of Moses and Susannah (West/Wast) Barber[1-3].
Anna's father, Moses Barber died in 1733 and his will was proved 17 December 1733. He bequeathed to his "youngest daughter" Ann:
"Item I Give to my Youngest Daughter Ann Barber one Good feather Bead well Fixed and Twenty pounds In money to be paid to her when she Comes to the Age of Eighteen Years."
Anna Barber married Sylvester Kenyon on 7 April 1740 in North Kingstown, Rhode Island. Sylvester was the son of John and Elizabeth (Remington) Kenyon of North Kingstown. Sylvester and Anna (Barber) Kenyon had six children born between 1740 and 1750, all were probably born in South Kingstown, Charlestown, or Richmond, Rhode Island. There are no birth records for the children. They were:
* Giles Kenyon (about 1740 - ????), married 1760 to Priscilla Briggs (1741-????).
* Sylvester Kenyon (1741-1839), married 1760 to Sarah Kenyon (1742-????).
* John Kenyon (1742-1831), married 1764 Ann Kenyon (1742-1824).
* Abigail Kenyon (1744-1814), married 1773 James Woodmansee (1752-1814)
* Paul Kenyon (1746-????)
* Moses Kenyon (1750-1824), married 1788 Mary Champlin (1769-1857)
The Sylvester Kenyon family may have moved from South Kingstown to Richmond sometime after 1740, but the first record is in March 1748 when Sylvester was named guardian of his nephew Christopher Kenyon, the illegitimate son of his sister, Abigail Kenyon.
Anna's mother, Susanna (West) Barber died in 1756 and her will was proved on 4 April 1756. She bequeathed to "Anna Kinyon:"
"Item I Give and Bequeath unto my beloved Daughter Anne Kinyon My Great Bible Whose name is written in Said Bible and to be Delliverd to her by my Executor Before my Other Estate to my Children hereafter Named."
"Item I Give and bequeath to my beloved Daughters (viz.) Dinah Wilcocks & the heirs of Lyda Mory and to Susannah Perry widow to Martha Parker to Ruth Bently Marey Teft and Ann Kinyon all the Remainder of my Estate to bee Equally Devided between them them to them and theire Heirs for Ever."
The personal estate of Susannah Barber totaled 1351 pounds, 10 shillings 0 pence, so Anna's share was about 193 pounds.
After 1777, Sylvester, his wife Anna and several of his children moved from Richmond, Rhode Island to Voluntown, Connecticut and acquired substantial land holdings in and around the Oneco district (now Sterling, Connecticut).
Sylvester Kenyon died 9 May 1800 in Voluntown, Connecticut. The Mayflower Families Soule book says:
"He [Sylvester] died intestate, and son Moses administered the estate in which the widow Anna shared."
A search was made for Sylvester's administration in Voluntown and Sterling, Connecticut records, but the record had not yet been found.
No death record or burial record for Anna (Barber) Kenyon has been found in the Richmond, Rhode Island, Voluntown, Connecticut or Sterling, Connecticut records, or on Find A Grave, although Sylvester is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Sterling. It is likely that Anna is buried with him.
1. Anne Borden Harding (editor), Mayflower Families Through Five Generations : Volume 3: George Soule (Plymouth, MA : General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1980), page 28, Susannah West/Wast sketch.
2. Anne Borden Harding (editor), Mayflower families Through Five Generations : Volume 3: George Soule, page 93, Anna Barber sketch.
3. "Rhode Island, Vital Records Extracts, 1636-1899," indexed database and digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), Volume 5, "Washington County Births, Marriages, Deaths," page 38 (image 158 of 523), Anna Barber birth entry.
4. South Kingston (R.I.) Town Clerk, "Town Council Records, 1704-1943" (South Kingston, R.I.), Family History Library (Salt Lake City, Utah), Volume 2, pages 238-245, Moses Barber estate papers, on FHL Microfilm 0.931,833.
5. Charlestown (R.I.) Town Clerk, "Charlestown [RI] Probate and Town Council Records, 1738-1916." Family History Library (Salt Lake City, Utah), Volume 2, pages 292-295, Susanna Barber estate papers, on FHL Microfilm 2,319,104.
The URL for this post is: https://www.geneamusings.com/2018/12/52-ancestors-week-256-381-anna-barber.htmlCopyright (c) 2018, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.