I'm not in the mood for a long Saturday Night Genealogy Fun (SNGF) blog post, but I know that my readers count on me and love to have genealogy fun, so tonight (and tomorrow) let's do:
GENEALOGY POT LUCK!!
Whatever genealogy fun you want to do - please spend an hour and do it! Then tell us about it in your own blog post, and leave a comment here which I will add to the Comments after moderation.
1) It's been a terrible week for Linda and me as many of you know - she fell on Sunday, broke her left hip bone, was transported by ambulance to Orange Coast Medical Center (Fountain Valley, CA), had her hip surgically repaired on Monday, left the hospital via ambulance on Wednesday night to a skilled nursing facility in Chula Vista (one mile from home), and is being treated there. She has not been able to have meaningful physical therapy yet. It's a hospital gown, hospital food, bedpans and diapers. I can visit once a day by appointment for 30 minutes. My daughters and I have started gathering resources for the next stop in Linda's life journey, and need education and resources. So that's the first No Genealogy Fun League (NGFL) experience
2) Since I got home Wednesday night, I've been able to work a bit on writing blog posts, moderating comments, checking my DNA matches, and answering email, sending text messages, and writing updates on Facebook. I even updated the last 60 TreeShare persons to my Ancestry Member Tree using RootsMagic. That was really the only GFL experience of the week. It's been nice to get back to some of my routine daily activities of learning, writing, sharing and researching.
3) However, my computer (I fear it's the monitor) makes it extremely difficult to copy and paste text from one place to another. The mouse skips words or whole lines when I try to copy - perhaps 1 in 5 tries is successful. I do a lot of that highlighting to do bolding and different font sizes too. Another NGFL experience. Maybe a new computer is in order? I use the laptop now to do some of this, like the FamilySearch Saturday posts.
4) My GPL (Genealogy Pot Luck)? I'm looking forward to spending some of this weekend resolving hundreds of Ancestry Record Hints, matching profiles with FamilySearch Family Tree, and adding information to RootsMagic based on what I find online. I may even transcribe a deed for Amanuensis Monday.
5) Life goes on here in the RJS Genealogy Cave. It's pretty quiet without the radio or TV on, and I'm sleeping really well since I got home. I'm trying foods that I could not prepare for us when Linda was home because of her allergies to soybeans, soybean oil, MSG, shellfish, farm-fed fish, parmesan and romano cheese, chocolate, beer, and a number of other foods. I had a Hungry Man last night and will try a Marie Callenders Pot Roast tonight. Pizza and lasagna coming soon, I hope!