Hundreds of genealogy and family history bloggers write thousands of posts every week about their research, their families, and their interests. I appreciate each one of them and their efforts.
My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* The Transformation of the Family History Library for Grand Opening at RootsTech 2017 by James Tanner on the Rejoice, and be exceeding glad ... blog. I can hardly wait for February.
* The Problem of the Color Line by Nicka Smith on the Who Is Nicka Smith? blog. Nicka makes a good case for more African-American presentations at seminars and conferences.
* 3 Ways to Use GEDmatch in Your DNA Research by Diane Haddad on the Genealogy Insider blog. Diane shares Blaine Bettinger's ideas.
* Bombshell by Claudia C. Breland on the Claudia C. Breland Genealogy and Family History Research blog. Claudia discovers some disturbing family history and deals with it well.
* Ancestry V1 vs. V2 Test Comparison by Roberta J. Estes on the DNAeXplained -- Genetic Genealogy blog. Roberta compared AncestryDNA test results for the V1 and V2 chips and was surprised that there were very few changes.
* 7 Tips to Help you Find your American Ancestors in PERSI by Alexandra Edmondson on the Findmypast Blog. Some useful hints for searching the PERiodical Source Index on Findmypast.
* Ancestry’s new Quebec notary collection even better than realized by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog. This is really good news for Canadian researchers.
* 10 Important Ways to Preserve Your Valuable Genealogical Documents and Records by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. Nice list.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking 7th October 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 7 October 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Friday Finds - Week 40 by Martin Roe on the Norwegian Genealogy and then some blog.
* Friday Finds 7 October 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 8 October 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- October 8, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (October 8, 2016) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
* Weekly Genealogy Picks and Calendar by John Newmark on the TransylvanianDutch blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/10/best-of-genea-blogs-2-to-8-october-2016.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.
Thanks for linking to my GeniAus Gems Randy.ReplyDelete