My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Monday Mailbox: FamilySearch Indexing by the writer of The Ancestry Insider blog. Frank answers for frank questions about Indexing.
* Can I Search Old Newspapers From My Smartphone? YES!!! by Kenneth Marks on The Ancestor Hunt blog. Ken describes RevGenea Software's "OldNews USA" mobile app for Andoid devices.
* Why I Like Google ... and 9 Ways to Search Smarter by Elizabeth O'Neal on the Little Bytes of Life blog. Elizabeth has a secret, and it works!
* Using Smart Technology to Jump-Start Your Genealogical Research: Part Three by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James summarizes the progress and problems in using smart genealogy technology.
* It Pays to Plan – Genealogy Vacations: Making Contact by Tessa Keough on The In-Depth Genealogist blog. Tessa has great suggestions.
* 3 Sources to Learn More About Your Ancestor’s Occupation by Amy Johnson Crow on the Amy Johnson Crow blog. Several good resources discussed here.
* 21 Best Tips From Family History Enthusiasts by Esther on the MyHeritage Blog. Nice list.
* Social History Resources: Why I love to use them! by Sue on the Kindred Past blog. Sue has a nice summary of some of her favorite resources.
* A Year In Review: Part II by Michael Lacopo on the Hoosier Daddy blog. Michael continues his recap of his last year that he didn't blog about. Life happens, but this was sad.
* Becoming a Professional Genealogist by Michael John Neill on the Rootdig.com blog. An interesting look t how Michael did it.
* 5 Online Resources to Help You Find Your Immigrant Ancestors by Leslie Albrecht Huber on the FamilySearch Blog. Leslie provides an excellent list.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking 2nd September 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Follow Friday - 7 Days of Genealogy Blogs by Melissa on Jessica and Gracie's Tree blog.
* Friday Finds 2 September 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- September 3, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (September 3, 2016) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
* Weekly Genealogy Picks and Calendar by John Newmark on the TransylvanianDutch blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 3 September 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/09/best-of-genea-blogs-28-august-to-3.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.