The puzzle is:
On June 1st, five couples who live in Trumbull will celebrate their wedding anniversaries. Their surnames are Johnstone, Parker, Watson, Graves, and Shearer. The husbands' given names are Russell, Douglas, Charles, Peter, and Everett. The wives' given names are Elaine, Joyce, Marcia, Elizabeth, and Mildred.
Keep in mind that no two couples have been married the same number of years. From the clues given, try to determine the husband and wife that make up each couple and the number of years they have been married.
* Joyce has not been married as long as Charles or the Parkers, but longer than Douglas or the Johnstones.
* Elizabeth has been married twice as long as the Watsons, but only half as long as Russell.
* The Shearers have been married ten years longer than Peter and ten years less than Marcia.
* Douglas and Mildred have been married for 25 years less than the Graves who, having been married for 30 years, are the couple who have been married the longest.
* Neither Elaine nor the Johnstones have been married the shortest amount of time.
* Everett has been married for 25 years.
Dan will publish the solution to this puzzle on 1 January 2007.
Can you figure it out? How long did it take?
Hat tip to Dick Eastman for publicizing this.