My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Use Google Books to Get Free Copies of Pages of Family History Library Books by Nathan Murphy on the FamilySearch Blog. Need copies of pages from copyright protected family history books? Here's an easy and quick way to obtain them. Great job, FamilySearch!
* Finding Genealogical Clues in Military Mementos by guest blogger Lisa A. Alzo on the Legacy News blog. An interesting memento, and a useful list of military resources to search for.
* Your Genealogical Legacy by Sonja Hunter on the Bushwhacking Genealogy: Kalamazoo and Beyond blog. Sonja has suggestions for how you can leave an information legacy to your descendants and other family members.
* 7 Time Management Tips for Genealogy Researchers by Kenneth R. Marks on The Ancestor Hunt blog. Great advice. Ouch!
* Once More Into the FAG Fray by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy deals with a stupid Facebook comment about Find A Grave being bought by Ancestry.com.
* Advice on How To Research Family History, Part I by Elizabeth Shown Mills on the New York Times Booming blog. ESM answers five important family history research questions from New York Times readers.
* Disaster Preparedness for Genealogists -- Are You Prepared? by Diane L. Richard on the Upfront With NGS blog. Diane provides links to blog articles on this topic.
* Researching the Family Tree in Spain by Heather Wilkinson Rojo on the Nutfield Genealogy blog. Heather describes her vacation in Spain and meeting a cousin, plus checking out the parish registers.
* Piles of Paper - Part 3 by Bill Dollarhide on Leland Meitzler's GenealogyBlog. Bill tells us how to get our paper piles in some semblance of order.
* Genealogical Technological Apprehension (GTA) by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James has identified a new disease that afflicts some genealogists. Thank goodness blog readers don't have it, but your society colleagues may have it.
These genea-bloggers wrote weekly pick posts and news summary posts this week:
* NN Genealogy Things You Need to Know This Morning, Sunday, 3 Nov 2013, Monday, 4 Nov 2013, Tuesday, 5 Nov 2013, Wednesday, 6 Nov 2013, Thursday, 7 Nov 2013, Friday, 8 Nov 2013, Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 by Caroline M. Pointer on the 4YourFamilyStory.com blog.
* Follow Friday - Favorites for November 8, 2013 by Heather Kuhn Roelker on the Leaves For Trees blog.
* Research Hints, Time Management, and Classes! It's Follow Friday! by Anne Gillespie Mitchell on the Finding Forgotten Stories blog.
* Follow Friday ~ Fab Finds for November 8, 2013 by Jana Last on Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog.
* Upfront Mini-Bytes -- Kickstarter, Free E-book, Sweepstakes, Abbreviations, Free Collections on Ancestry.com & Fold3, Toledo OH, Google Map Tour and more .... by Diane L. Richard on the Upfront with NGS blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (November 9, 2013) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
* Genealogy, Blogs, News & Tidbits, #15 by Deb Ruth on the Adventures in Genealogy blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1400 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/11/best-of-genea-blogs-3-to-9-november-2013.html
Copyright(c) 2013, Randall J. Seaver