Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) Have you had you autosomal DNA tested by a genetics company? Which companies?
2) How many autosomal DNA matches do you have at each company, by approximate relationship?
3) Tell us about them in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or on Facebook or Google+. Please add a comment to thisp ost so folks can find your information.
1) I have had an autosomal DNA test done on AncestryDNA, FamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe. I have also uploaded my autosomal DNA raw data to GEDMatch.com.
2) Here is a summary list of my matches down to the approximate 4th cousin level:
a) AncestryDNA (about 80% with trees, many back 5 generations):
* 1 second cousin (1 with a Hint)
* 3 third cousins (2 with a Hint)
* 254 4th to 6th cousins (14 with a Hint)
b) FamilyTreeDNA (very few with trees back at least 5 generations):
* 65 2nd to 4th cousins
* 178 3rd to 5th cousins
* 243 4th to Remote cousins
c) 23andMe (very few that share, or have trees at all):
* 1 2nd to 3rd cousin
* 3 3rd to 4th cousins
* 44 3rd to 5th cousins
* 303 3rd to 6th cousins
* 1209 3rd to Distant cousins
* 2 4th to Distant cousins
d) GEDMatch (some trees):
* 1 with less than 4 generations (> 64 cM)
* 58 with 4.0 to 4.4 generations (64 ==> 32 cM)
* 388 with 4.5 to 4.9 generations (32 == > 17 cM)
I'm not sure of the value of any of this.
As you can see, the four websites measure things based on different criteria. But it was interesting.
I do recognize the names of some of the same testers in the different systems. Some have data in only one website, and a few have data in all four of them. I should do a comparison between the websites for some of those persons that I match with.
I have not done any triangulation yet trying to find matches on the same chromosome the way others have. This is made more difficult because AncestryDNA doesn't provide a chromosome browser, but has the most know matches (Hints). The GEDMatch chromosome browser can be used if an AncestryDNA has uploaded their autosomal DNA data to GEDMatch. Not all have.
Unfortunately, I don't have any really close family members tested. The closest known relatives I have a match with is a second cousin, and then her son and her mother.