2) The GOBLIN surname - there are 65 entries. It looks like there are no real GOBLIN family trees - only isolated GOBLIN women who married men with other surnames.
3) The SKELETON surname - there are 507 entries but few trees with many generations. Methinks these are mostly misspelled SKELTON people (77,203).
4) The FRANKENSTEIN surname - There are 1,545 entries, and most of them are of German origin. One family that settled in Rochester NY is here. There is one Frank N. Stein here.
5) The WITCH surname - there are 232 entries, but no long family lines in the database. Some of those listed were accused of witchcraft.
6) The PUMPKIN surname - there are 83 entries, but no long family lines. There are 448 entries for a given name of PUMPKIN.
7) The HAUNT surname - there are only 6 entries, none with a family line. There are 4 persons with the first name of HAUNT.
8) The SPOOK surname - there are 36 entries, and only one with a three generation family. There are 50 entries for people with a given name of Spook and 32 for the first name of Spooky (at least one dog!)
9) The GHOUL surname - there are 47 entries.
10) The JACKO surname has 389 entries, and there are 112 entries with a given name of Jacko..
11) The LANTERN surname has 343 entries. But there are no people named Jack O. Lantern, but 3 entries with Jack Lantern.
12) There are 284 CAT surname entries and 13,696 CATT entries. There is one Rin Black Cat name, which died in 2006 in Uncle Brick's barn.
13) There are 25 SCARY surname entries - many of them still living. There are 88 entries for a given name of Scary.
14) There are 94 DRACULA surname entries, many of them are related to The Count. There are 57 entries for a given name of DRACULA.
15) There are 763 CEMETERY entries, some of them the name of actual cemetery databases.
16) There are 5,160 GRAVE surname entries, and 358,827 GRAVES surname entries. There are 6 entries for the name robin Graves.
17) There are 163,499 entries for the surname COFFIN.
18) There are 2,448 MONSTER entries. No Monster Mash, though (there are 3,225 surname entries for MASH). There are no "Boris Pickett" persons, but there are 15 entries for BOBBY PICKETT.
19) There are 1,112 SKULL surname entries.
20) There are 173 SPIRIT entries. There are 6 entries for a Holy Spirit with a spouse named Mary, with a child.
21) There are 623,594 surname entries for WEBB, but only 7 entries for "Spider WEBB" (all nicknames)
22) There are 251 entries for SCREECH surname. And 55 entries for a given name or nickname of Screech.
23) There are 8 entries for HALLOWEEN surname - even a Mary Halloween. There are 135 given name entries for HALLOWEEN (including maiden names).
24) There are no VAMPIRE surname entries, and 3 given name entries.
25) There are 22,524 BROOM surname entries.
26) There are 141 BAT surname entries, 19,326 BATT surname entries and 12,154 BATTY surname entries. There are 862 entries for BATTY as a given name.
27) There are no ZOMBIE surname entries or given name entries. Whew!
28) There are 60,616 entries for the surname BLOOD.
29) The surname DEATH has 12,253 entries.
30) The TRICK surname has 4,125 surname entries and TREAT surname has 68,327 entries! There are 51 given name entries for Tricky, but no Tricky Treat.
31) The surname WARLOCK has 78 entries, but there are 4 given name entries
32) There are 3 surname entries for WEREWOLF, both married to the same Lucky guy!
33) There are 402 surname entries for BOO, and 821 given name entries for BOO, and six entries named Boo Boo.
Enough!! What other Hallowe'en oriented surnames can you think of? Are they in WorldConnect?
The Ancestry.com blog published some entries from death records in Who would name their daughter Halloween? Just check the records.
John D. Reid posted some Hallowe'en names and occupations in Halloween fun from Ancestry.ca in 2009.
Chris Dunham did some Census Whacking on Hallowe'en names in Censuswhacking for Halloween in 2005.
John Newmark had some Hallowe'en names in Friday Five in 2007.
Did I miss a post on Hallowe'en names? If so, please tell me and I'll add it to my list.
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.