My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for the genealogy carnivals, or other meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* 8 Free Rhode Island Resources by Diane Boumenot on the One Rhode Island Family blog. I love posts like this! Very helpful.
* The natural son by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy analyzes a reader's case pertaining to the term in a will.
* 1940 Census: Who We're Searching For and Why by Megan Smolenyak on the Archives Blog. Megan asked readers who they were searching for, and posts the responses.
* 5 Ways to Increase Traffic to Your Blog by Caroline M. Pointer on the Blogging Genealogy blog. Some excellent advice and examples here for all of us.
* Handy Links to 1940 Census Info by Sue Maxwell on the Granite Genealogy blog. Sue has the best list (although she hasn't listed my posts or listed the Steve Morse 1940 Census ED Finder site).
* New Information on Ancestry.com's AncestryDNA Product by CeCe Moore on the Your Genetic Genealogist blog. CeCe summarizes a briefing given this week to a group of geneabloggers.
* The Players by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James tries to identify the people and companies involved in the genealogy world.
* Ancestry.com's AncestryDNA Project by Blaine Bettinger on The Genetic Genealogist blog. blaine summarizes the Ancestry briefing and shares his insights.
* Sunday Funday: You Might Be a Genealogist by Dawn Watson on the Diggin' in the Roots blog. Dawn adds some good ones to the compendium.
Several genea-bloggers wrote weekly pick posts and news summary posts this week, including:
* Fab Finds for the Week of 25 March 2012 by GenuinelyLAF on the 1 Ancestry 2 Little Time blog.
* Monday Morning Mentions by Lynn Palermo on The Armchair Genealogist blog.
* Monday Recap for March 26, 2012 by Amanda on the Geni Blog.
* Ruth's Recommendations by Ruth Blair on The Passionate Genealogist blog.
* Genealogy Roundup, March 29 by Megan Smolenyak on the Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak's Roots World blog.
* March Roundup: Swing Edition by Karen K. on The Road Backward blog.
* Follow Friday: This Week's Favorite Finds by Jen on the Climbing My Family Tree blog.
* Genealogy News Corral, March 26-30 by Diane Haddad on the Genealogy Insider blog.
* Best of British Genealogy - 31st March 2012 by Nicola Epsom on the Genealogy Workshop blog.
* Notable Genealogy Blog Posts, 1 April 2012 by Michael Hait on the Planting the Seeds blog.
* Fab Finds for the Week of 1 April 2012 by GenuinelyLAF on the 1 Ancestry 2 Little Time blog.
I encourage readers to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Google Reader, RSS feed or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1200 genealogy bloggers using Google Reader, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/04/best-of-genea-blogs-25-to-31-march-2012.html