Wednesday, May 9, 2012
And We're Off... to Oslo
Linda and I are excited to do some more genealogy travel. Some of you are probably saying "Oh, they're going to Cincinnati for the National Genealogical Society Conference on 10 to 13 May."
Um, no, we're going on the Legacy Family Tree sponsored cruise on the Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas departing from Oslo, Norway on 12 May.
The schedule for our vacation is:
* Wednesday, 9 May: Fly from San Diego to London, then London to Oslo on British Airways.
* Thursday, 10 May: We arrive tonight, and we're staying in the Scandic Sjolyst hotel in Oslo.
* Friday, 11 May: A free day to recover from jet lag, do some sightseeing, and perhaps meet friends for dinner.
* Saturday, 12 May: Find our way to the cruise ship terminal, board the ship, and meet the Legacy group at 3 p.m. The ship departs in the afternoon.
* Sunday, 13 May: at sea, but there are genealogy presentations in the morning.
* Monday, 14 May: Arrive at 8 a.m. at LeHavre. We'll probably take a tour of Paris. Ship departs at midnight.
* Tuesday, 15 May: Arrive at Cherbourg at 7 a.m. We'll probably take a Normandy Beaches tour. The ship departs at 3 p.m.
* Wednesday, 16 May: Arrive at Dublin at 12 noon. We'll probably take a Dublin tour. The ship departs at 10 p.m.
* Thursday, 17 May: Arrive at Liverpool at 7:30 a.m. We'll probably take some sort of tour. The ship departs at 6:30 p.m.
* Friday, 18 May: At sea, but there are genealogy presentations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
* Saturday, 19 May: Arrive at Edinburgh at 8 a.m. We'll probably take a city tour. The ship departs at 6 p.m.
* Sunday, 20 May: At sea, but there are genealogy presentations from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
* Monday, Arrive at Oslo at 7 a.m. We will transfer to the airport for our flight from Oslo to London to San Diego on British Airways.
I'll have more to post about the presentations in the coming days.
This should be fun. We took the 2008 Celebrity cruise from New York to the Caribbean with The Master Genealogist team and had a great time.
One drawback is that Genea-Musings will not be posted on a regular basis. I have scheduled some posts for your entertainment before we go, but my email and Internet access will probably be very limited (like never?) on the ship since the Internet on cruise ships is usually very slow and costly. If it is relatively cheap and fast, I'll probably spend some time every day or so using it. My expectations are low!
Please note that some of the weekly posts will not be published for two weeks, including:
" Saturday Night Genealogy Fun
* Best of the Genea-Blogs (at least with posts to click on).
The big question is "Will Randy be able to survive without Email, Interweb, Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, Google Reader, etc.?" What do you think? ;)
When we get back, I have a presentation 30 May and another on 12 June, and we're going to the SCGS Genealogy Jamboree in Burbank from 7 to 10 June. I figured that one conference in the spring was enough this year!