Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:
1) Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.
2) Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.
3) Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries. If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5! Or 10!! Or 20!!!
4) Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, in a status or comment on Facebook, or in Google Plus Stream post.
NOTE: If you can't figure out how to do this in your GMP (Genealogy Management Program), use the Help button and search for "count persons" then follow directions.
I'm going to use RootsMagic 6 because that's where I'm doing my current additions, deletions and editing and is my most up-to-date collection. In RootsMagic 6, go to Reports, then Lists and scroll down to "Surname Statistics List." I then chose "Frequency of Surnames" from the list presented.
That took about 20 seconds and I have a 153 page list! I didn't count every one of them - there are 153 pages with 39 names per page. That's a grand total of 5,967 surnames in my database with 42,720 persons. The top 20 are, with birth date ranges:
* SEAVER - 4,490 persons, from 1608 to 2011
* BUCK - 742 persons, from 1577 to 1997
* SMITH - 672 persons, from 1526 to 2013
* FITZ RANDOLPH - 477 persons, from 1565 to 1884
* VAUX - 465 persons, from 1620 to 2006
* DILL - 440 persons, from 1629 to 1996
* [unknown] - 383 persons, from 787 to 2011
* NEWTON - 319 persons, from 1600 to 2008* RICHMAN - 304 persons, from 1622 to 1985
* CHAMPLIN - 302 persons, from 1618 to 1917
* CULVER - 270 persomns, from 1700 to 2010
* BRESEE - 254 persons, from 1650 to 1900
* BROWN - 223 persons, from 1580 to 1978
* SEVER - 209 persons, from 1673 to 2003
* CARRINGER - 198 persons, from 1758 to 2013
* HAWKINS - 196 persons, from 1570 to 1975
* McKNEW - 187 persons, from 1640 to 2007
* SOVEREIGN - 175 persons, from 1742 to 1936
* CLARK - 170 persons, from 1561 to 2008
* FLETCHER - 162 persons, from 1592 to 1902
I have 128 Mary's without a surname, and 107 Elizabeth's without a surname, 43 with the surname OLSDTR, and 44 with UNKNOWN for a surname.
Of course, if I added up all the persons without a surname, my LNU's are probably the biggest group on the list.
I didn't see a way to get a count on first names - can anyone figure this out in RootsMagic 6, or in another program?
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2014/03/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-how-many.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver