My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* What every genealogist needs to know about American marriage records by Frederick Wertz on the Findmypast Blog. This is a brief review of the possible marriage record types found in the Findmypast collection..
* Is It A Match? Ways to Correlate Evidence and Identify Ancestors by Jake Fletcher on the Legacy News blog. Jake describes his processes to work with evidence and identify ancestors.
* When I Started by Kathleen Moore on The Misadventures of a Genealogist blog. With a little humor, Kathleen shares how she got started 13 years ago.
* Dead or Alive at Ancestry.com by Michael John Neill on the Rootdig.com blog. Heh.
* Finding Living Cousins by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog. Linda describes her favorite tools to do this.
* Putting the Search in Context by Jacqi Stevens on A Family Tapestry blog. Jacqi lines up documents with history and maps on her Marshall Jackson challenge.
* War, Starvation, and Smallpox Decimate the Rode Family by Don Taylor on the D. Taylor's Genealogy blog. What a tragic and inspiring story.
* MyHeritage is Adding Free DNA Matching by Kahl on the MyHeritage Blog. More information should be forthcoming soon.
* The Challenge of Innovation and Change in the Genealogical Community by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James discusses technology, innovation and genealogy. I agree.
* Riding Grandfather's Paper Express: Genealogical Research in U.S. Railroad Records by Jake fletcher on the Legacy News blog. Jake provides a nice summary for this record type.
* Ask Yvette: Untangling two same-named women by Yvette Hoitink on the Dutch Genealogy blog. Yvette untangles a puzzle for a cousin with sound principles and original records.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking 20th May 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 21 May 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Finds 20 May 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- May 21, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (May 21, 2016) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 21 May 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1590 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/05/best-of-genea-blogs-15-to-21-may-2016.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.