My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Check the Original Documents, Part 2 by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branch on the Family Tree blog. Linda analyzes a Quaker document and doesn't find the sought-after marriage date.
* My First YouTube Video by Louis Kessler on Louis Kessler's Behold Genealogy blog. Louis describes how he made a video to submit to the Innovator Summit at RootsTech 2017, based on his Double Match Triangulator analysis of autosomal DNA matches.
* That 1923 Date by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy explains why material published before 1 January 1923 is now out of copyright protection.
* Useful Genealogy Resources for Memoirists by Laura Hedgecock on the Treasure Chest of Memories blog. Laura describes social context issues and records that help define them.
* Absolutely Everything There Is To Know ... by Jacqi Stevens on the A Family Tapestry blog. Jacqi is stepping into the world of One Name Studies and describes her experiences to date.
* Documenting your Ancestor's Transportation by Melissa Barker on the A Genealogist in the Archives blog. Melissa shares some of her family stories. Good idea.
* Five Out of Ten Items Correct on Johann’s 1838 Baptismal Entry in Ancestry.com’s Transcription by Michael John Neill on the Rootdig.com blog. Michael has an excellent example of why you should read the original record, if you can find it.
* The Small Bonuses of Family Genealogy by theailurophile on the Leaf Twig and Stem blog. Yes, there are. Nice finds.
* 12 Christmas Gifts for a Genealogist by Lorine McGinnis Schulze on the Olive Tree Genealogy Blog. Nice list, Lorine!
* 2016 Holiday Gift Guide for Genealogists by Julie Cahill Tarr on the Julie's Genealogy & History Hub blog. Julie has a suggested list for holiday gift books.
* Genealogy Gift Ideas by Lori Samuelson on the Genealogy at Heart blog. Lori has an excellent wish list.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking December 2, 2016 by Crissouli on the That Moment In Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 2 December 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Finds 2 Dec 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Follow Friday ~ Fab Finds for December 2, 2016 by Jana Last on Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 3 December 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- December 3, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/12/best-of-genea-blogs-week-of-27-november.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.