My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Thoughts on In-Person Conferences by Lori Thornton on the Smoky Mountain Family Historian blog. Lori shares her thoughts.
* Behold’s Genetic Relationship Notation (BGRN) by Louis Kessler on Louis Kessler's Behold Genealogy blog. Louis has come up with a fascinating methodology here.
* It Takes Two: The Research Benefits of a Two-Monitor System by guest blogger Drew Smith on the Genealogy Insider blog. Drew describes the benefits of this. I wish I had more desk space.
* Loss of Life Sketches on Merger? by James Tanner on the Rejoice, and be Exceeding Glad ... blog. James highlights a FamilySearch Family Tree problem. I use life sketches a lot.
* Comments on the Changing Times of Genealogy by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James quotes Bob Dylan...I'm swimming as fast as I can!
* Creating Family History Videos Easily and for Free by Amy Johnson Crow on the Amy Johnson Crow blog. Amy created a how-to for Adobe Spark videos. Superb!
* Test: Treasures from Old Newspapers (Using Adobe Spark) by Pat Richley-Erickson on the DearMYRTLE's Genealogy Blog. Pat produces her first Spark video.
* A Troubled Life: Mina Mae Mitchell (1868-1910) by Christine Manczuk on the Ancestry Island blog. Oh my! Christine 's great-grandfather's other wife was trouble.
* Is Genealogy Dangerous to Your Health? by Thomas MacEntee on the Geneabloggers blog. This is an important post. Kudos to Thomas.
* "Every Genealogy Record You Need is Online" - I Beg to Differ! by Lori Samuelson on the Genealogy at Heart blog. I agree with Lori, who provides excellent examples.
* It’s in print, but is it true? by Rhonda McClure on the Vita Brevis blog. Right on, Rhonda. Lots of surprises in original records.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking 27th May 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 27 May 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Finds on Saturday by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Follow Friday ~ Fab Finds for May 27, 2016 by Jana Last on Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- May 28, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (May 28, 2016) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 28 May 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1590 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/05/best-of-genea-blogs-22-to-28-may-2016.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.