My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* The Miracles of DNA: Our Family Reunion in Ghana, Africa by Melvin J. Collier on the Viewing African-American History Through a Genealogical Lens blog. This is a really amazing DNA matching story.
* Genealogy Research History Logs & a Freebie by Caroline M. Pointer on the 4YourFamilyStory blog. Caroline shares her research log forms.
* How They Do It: Thomas MacEntee by Janine Adams on the Organize Your Family History blog. Janine interviews Thomas on his family history organization tasks.
* What You Need To Know To Organize Your Genealogy by Lisa Lisson on the Are You My Cousin blog. Lisa shares her organizing tasks.
* Oh Say Can You “C”? Navigating the Seven Cs of Genealogy by Thomas MacEntee on the Geneabloggers blog. Thomas creates an excellent list of genealogy habits.
* GeneAwards 2016 by Tamura Jones on the Modern Software Experience website. Tamura picks the best and worst genealogy products and genealogy organizations for 2016.
* FamilySearch 2016 Year in Review by Diane Sagers on the FamilySearch Blog. Here is a summary of the 2016 highlights at FamilySearch, with statistics.
* The Truth About Ancestry's Hints by Amy Johnson Crow on the Amy Johnson Crow blog. Amy has cautions and suggestions about Ancestry Hints.
* A Genealogy Facebook Frenzy by Amie Bowser Tennant on the My Kith N Kin blog. Amie offers information about using Facebook for genealogy.
* Happy Birthday, Grumpy by Elf Flame on the Oh Spusch! blog. This is a beautiful life story of a smart and enterprising grandfather.
* Scientists Say January is the Worst Month for Genea-Injuries by Kerry Scott on the Clue Wagon blog. Kerry found another scientific genea-study.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking Jan 6th, 2017 by Crissouli on the That Moment In Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus Gems - 6 January 2017 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Friday's Family History Finds by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Finds -- Week 1, 2017 by Martin Roe on the Norwegian Genealogy and then some blog.
* Friday Finds 36 Jan 2017 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 7 January 2017 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- January 7, 2017 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (January 7, 2017) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2017/01/best-of-genea-blogs-1-to-7-january-2017.html
Copyright (c) 2017, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.