Welcome to my genealogy blog. Genea-Musings features genealogy research tips and techniques, genealogy news items and commentary, genealogy humor, San Diego genealogy society news, family history research and some family history stories from the keyboard of Randy Seaver (of Chula Vista CA), who thinks that Genealogy Research Is really FUN!
Copyright (c) Randall J. Seaver, 2006-2016.
Treasure Chest Thursday -- Post 282: Death Certificate of Edna Catherine (McKnew) Schaffner (1884-1974) of San Francisco, California
It's Treasure Chest Thursday - time to look in my digital image files to see what treasures I can find for my family history and genealogy musings.
The treasure today is the death record of Edna Catherine (McKnew) Schaffner (1884-1974) of San Francisco, California:
The information extracted from this record includes:
1. NAME: Edna Catherine SCHAFFNER
2. DATE OF DEATH: November 11, 1974; 2:35 A.M.
3. SEX: FEMALE
4. COLOR OR RACE: WHITE
5. BIRTHPLACE: California
6. DATE OF BIRTH: Mar 7, 1884
7. AGE: 90 years
8. NAME AND BIRTHPLACE OF FATHER: Elijah McKnew - Maryland
9. MAIDEN NAME AND BIRTHPLACE OF MOTHER: Jane Unknown - Austria
10. CITIZEN OF WHAT COUNTRY: U.S.A.
11. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: 558-74-3827 T
12. MARITAL STATUS: Widowed
13. NAME OF SURVIVING SPOUSE:
14. LAST OCCUPATION: Housewife
18. PLACE OF DEATH: Laguna Honda Hospital, 375 Laguna Honda Blvd., San Francisco, San Francisco
19. USUAL RESIDENCE: 46 Rivoli Street, San Francisco, San Francisco, California
20. NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS OF INFORMANT: Muriel Mertes, 46 Rivoli Street, San Francisco, Ca
21, PHYSICIAN: Arthur O. Stone, 375 Laguna Honda Blvd., saw patient from 9-24-74 to 11-11-74, last seen on 11-11-74.
22. BURIAL ARRANGEMENTS: Entombment, Nov. 13, 74
23. NAME OF CEMETERY OR CREMATORY: Cypress Lawn Mem. Park, Colma, Ca.
24. EMBALMER: Walter B. Foster 3412
25. FUNERAL DIRECTOR: Halsted & Co
29. CAUSE OF DEATH: Immediate - Cerebrovascular Thromboses; Consequence of Cerebral Arteriosclerosis
30. OTHER SIGNIFICANT CONDITIONS: Arteriosclerotic Heart Disease
31. WAS OPERATION PERFORMED: No
32. AUTOPSY: No
The source citation for this record is:
"California, San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records, 1895-1985," indexed database, digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 31 October 2012), Halsted & Company, 1974 [year], 11 [month], image 697 of 1017, Edna Catherine Schaffner entry; citing original data in San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records, 1895-1985, Microfilm publication, 1129 rolls. Researchity. San Francisco, California.
Edna Catherine (McKnew) Schaffner (1884-1974) was my wife's maternal grandmother who lived her entire life in San Francisco. Her father's name was Elijah Pickrell McKnew and her mother's name was Jane Whittle, born in Australia (not in Austria). Apparently, she was cremated rather than entombed.
I do not have a state or county issued death certificate for Edna Schaffner - I wonder if it has the same information as the above? I think it probably does.
While this is a death certificate in the Funeral Home records, there are eight more pages, including:
* Handwritten death certificate information by informant
* Halsted & Company charges
* Attorney's notice to creditors
* Attorney's letter of payment to Halsted & Company
* Halsted & Company Creditor's claim letter
* Handwritten Funeral Notice prepared by Halsted & Company
* Funeral Service Approval sheet signed by informant
* Top part of Statement of Death by Funeral Director to Social Security Administration
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/10/treasure-chest-thursday-post-282-death.html Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.