Here is an example I did today:
1) I looked at my "View people with Hints" page from the home page:
The screen above says:
* People with Hints - 7943
* Records - 30841
* Photos - 3632
* Stories - 530
* Member Trees - 7201
I noticed that, even though I have 42,922 people in this Ancestry Member Tree, I have only 7,943 with Hints. That means less than 20% of my tree people have Hints. Are there really over 34,000 people in my tree without Hints on Ancestry.com?
2) I found a portion of my tree (in the Family view) that didn't have Hints for two generations - the descendants of Chester Cornelius Carringer (1856-1915) and Valeria Magdalene Schick (1853-1929). Chester is my first cousin 3 times removed. By the time I had the screen set up to take a screen shot, it was populated with Hints for most of the children and grandchildren of Chester and Valeria, as shown below:
3) I was interested in Buryl Carringer (1929-2012), one of Chester Carringer's grandsons, because I had just found his burial record on Find A Grave. On the screen above, I clicked on his green leaf on the screen above:
There were 11 Hints added for this person in the 15 seconds between getting Chester Carringer on the screen in the Family view, and the time I took the screen shot.
4) I went back to the list of "View people with Hints" and saw:
* Records - 31353 (+ 512)
* Photos - 3650 (+18)
* Stories - 530 (+ 0)
* Member Trees - 7261(+ 60).
Just by spending 15 seconds on this particular View of my Ancestry Member Tree, I added 512 Record Hints for 68 persons, most of whom are my cousins! For the record, Buryl Wayne Carringer is a 3rd cousin 3 times removed.
Sometimes you have to click on a person on the Family View, bring up the profile, and then go to "View in Tree" and more descendants of the person will appear with Hints.
Reviewing the Hints provided by Ancestry may lead you to discover more ancestors and/or descendants thereby extending your tree.
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.