The 2015 list is at http://familytreemagazine.com/article/101-Best-Websites-2015.
The list is divided up into 16 categories:
- Best Virtual Library Websites
- Best Big Genealogy Websites
- Best Historical Newspaper Websites
- Best Large-Database Genealogy Websites
- Best State Genealogy Websites
- Best Websites for Finding African-American Ancestry
- Best Military Genealogy Websites
- Best Family Tree Websites
- Best Geographical Genealogy Websites
- Best Genealogy Tech Tools
- Best Websites for Vital Records
- Best Immigrant Genealogy Websites
- Best Canadian Genealogy Websites
- Best Continental European Genealogy Websites
- Best Social Media Websites for Genealogy
- Best Genealogy Blogs
This is an excellent reference list for researchers. Of course, it only pertains to online resources, and not on repository resources.
The Best Genealogy Blogs lists five blogs and YouTube (for some reason):
Genea-Musings missed out again, 9th year in a row (oh well...). Congratulations to the writers of The Ancestry Insider, Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter, GeneaBloggers, Genealogy Gems, and the Genealogy Guys. Of course, I would have chosen several others also, but they didn't ask me. Maybe they will run the Top 50 genealogy blogs again this year.
It would be interesting to compare the 2015 list with the 2014 list (see http://familytreemagazine.com/article/101-best-websites-2014).
Some of the "best" websites I thought of were not in the category I thought they should be in; for example, Chronicling America could have been in the "Newspapers" category, but it was included in the Library of Congress item in the "Best Virtual Library" sites.
What would you have put on the list in one or more categories? I think I would have put Family Tree Webinars ($) in the Social Media category, and YouTube (in the blog category for some reason), and also Google+ because of the communities available for education and research.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/07/family-tree-magazine-101-best-websites.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.