The "Relationship Finder" on WikiTree was announced yesterday - see the press release here.
I have uplaoded a limited tree to WikiTree, so I was curious toi see how the Relationship Finder worked. It was not obvious, so I emailed Chris Whitten about it, and he pointed out the little arrow icon next to a person's name in the "Profile Private View" tab for a person in your own family tree on WikiTree. I think that this is the only place that has the icon.
Here are some screens that show how to use the Relationship Finder in your own tree, or between two specific persons in the entire WikiTree system:
1) I navigated to the Private Profile page for my uncle Milo Hildreth (1824-1893) in WikiTree (I am the profile manager for Uncle Milo), and saw:
Within the large yellow frame, the name Milo Hildreth is in the upper left-hand corner. There are presently five small icons just to the right of Milo Hildreth's name - these icons create reports, including an Ancestor Pedigree Chart (a pedigree icon), an Ancestor Ahnentafel List (a list icon), a Printer-Friendly Tree (a printer icon), a Wikid Shareable Tree (a tree in a yellow square icon), and now the Relationship Finder (an icon with two arrows pointing at each other).
2) I clicked on the Relationship Finder icon (the two arrows pointing at each other) and saw:
The Relationship Finder noted that "Randall Jeffrey is the second great-grand-nephew of Milo" Hildreth. It then described how it found the relationship, saying:
To calculate this, we searched for the first ancestor shared by both Milo Hildreth and Randall Jeffrey Seaver.
Randall Jeffrey is the son of Frederick Walton Seaver.
That is a very readable and useful chart for users to determine relationships within family structures, with helpful information about common ancestors, deeper ancestry, half-relationships, relationships by marriage, and number of ancestors.
4) If you want to calculate the relationship between any two persons in the WikiTree, you can do it using the form at http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Special:Relationship:
To use this form, you need to know the Person Identity Number of the two persons - for my test case, Milo is Hildreth-61 and I am Seaver-15. I entered those into the form, and received the same result.
There are some limitations to using this Relationship Finder:
* The Relationship Finder provides results for only ten generations (according to the "Deeper Ancestry" paragraph in the Explanation).
* While a Registered WikiTreer can use the Relationship Finder from the Profile Private View tab, a non-registered searcher cannot do that. They can, however, use the Find a Relationship form to find the relationship between two persons in the WikiTree.
Chris Whitten just emailed me that "I just added a "What's New" section to everyone's Navigation Home Page. http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Special:Home" Chris is really helpful and responsive!
The URL for this post is http://www.geneamusings.com/2011/07/using-relationship-finder-on-wikitree.html
(c) 2011. Randall J. Seaver. All Rights Reserved. If you wish to re-publish my content, please contact me for permission, which I will usually grant. If you are reading this on any other genealogy website, then they have stolen my work.