My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for the genealogy carnivals, or other meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* GenealogyBank: What are your thoughts, DearREADERS? and That GenealogyBank Meeting: My Report by Pat Richley-Erickson on the DearMYRTLE's Genealogy Blog. Pat reviews why she likes GenealogyBank, and offers suggestions to improve the site, then reports on the meeting. Well done!
* "Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr." - DNA in the 10th episode by CeCe Moore on the Your Genetic Genealogist blog. Another excellent summary of the DNA results found on this series - this time for Michelle.Rodriguez, Adrian Grenier and Linda Chavez.
* A Galvanized Matross from the Mid-Atlantic Region has a Blast at Dighton by Tim Abbott on the Walking the Berkshires blog. Tim shares his experiences, and many pictures, from his latest Revolutionary War re-enacting adventure. Well done!
* What Software Do I Use the Most? by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James is the most "tuned-in" person I know, and he shares his software list (not just genealogy) with us.
* Elizabeth Warren: Gunn-Crawford Marriage License Controversy and Elizabeth Warren's Ancestry - Part 1 by CC on The Thoughts of Polly's Granddaughter blog. These posts dissect the available information about Senatorial candidate Elizabeth Warren's claimed Cherokee ancestry and compares it to a known Cherokee ancestry.
* What is Forensic Genealogy? by Michael Hait on the Planting the Seed blog. Michael interviews Leslie Lawson, President of the Council for Advancement of Forensic Genealogy.
* Response to "What is Forensic Genealogy?" by Barbara Mathews on The Demanding Genealogist blog. Barbara asks Melinde Lutz Byrne and Colleen Fitzpatrick the same questions, and gets different answers.
* How Crazy is too crazy to make a will? by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy gets interesting email questions ... and writes great blogp osts about them. A keeper.
Several genea-bloggers wrote weekly pick posts and news summary posts this week, including:
* Monday Morning Mentions by Lynn Palermo on The Armchair Genealogist blog.
* Monday Recap for May 21, 2012 by Amanda on the Geni.com blog.
* Follow Friday: This Week's Favorite Finds by Jen on the Climbing My Family Tree blog.
* Follow Friday - May 25th 2012 by Ginger R. Smith on the Genealogy by Ginger's Blog.
* Genealogy News Corral, May 21-25 by Diane Haddad on the Genealogy Insider blog.
* Friday Night Finds - 05/25/12 (A Day Late) by Julie Cahill Tarr on the GenBlog blog.
* Across My Desk: 26 May 2012 by Pat Richley-Erickson on DearMYRTLE's Genealogy Blog.
I encourage readers to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Google Reader, RSS feed or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1200 genealogy bloggers using Google Reader, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/05/best-of-genea-blogs-20-to-26-may-2012.html