One of the NEW features in the Family Tree Builder 7.0 software was the ability to synchronize ("sync") with a user's MyHeritage Family Tree - meaning a user can change something online in their MyHeritage Family Tree, or change something in the FTB software, and click on the "Sync" button in FTB 7.0 to make the MyHeritage Family tree data match the Family Tree Builder software data. Heritage described the sync feature this way:
"All family tree information is synchronized, including photos, videos, audio files, notes, sources, citations and other information, except private information such as DNA markers which never leaves the user’s computer. The family history data can now be privately and securely viewed, edited and expanded from any device - the user’s computer, the user’s online family site on MyHeritage – or via the free MyHeritagemobile apps for iPad, iPhone and Android. Users have full control of who can be granted permission to view or add information. The new sync system also provides a backup of the users’ precious data."
Earlier posts in this series are:
* In Family Tree Builder 7.0 Software Synchronization with MyHeritage Family Tree - Post 1. In the post I edited some data and added several photos for two of my ancestors from the Events page.
* In Family Tree Builder 7.0 Software Synchronization with MyHeritage Family Tree - Post 2, I synchronized the Family Tree Builder 7.0 software with my MyHeritage Family Tree. However, I found that the Photos did not upload to MyHeritage and did not show up in Family Tree Builder for some reason. I was puzzled by that, but now I think that I have figured it out.
After the second post, I went into Family Tree Builder 7.0 and tried uploading Photos from the Person profile rather than the Event page. I received a message that:
|Your files are being uploaded|
|MyHeritage.com will now detect faces in your photos, automatically. This may take a little while.|
We will email you at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as this is complete."
I received the email overnight...so today I checked on the MyHeritage site, and all of the Photos uploaded yesterday were there - including several duplicates (because I attached them one at a time to Birth, Death and Burial Events for two different people).
1) When I opened MyHeritage today, I saw on my "Photos" tab:
From what I can tell, all of the Photos go FIRST to my MyHeritage website without being linked to an Event. I then have to TAG the image to one or more persons.
I have two trees on MyHeritage, but only one in Family Tree Builder 7.0 at this time. One is my big database from 2011, and the other is my ancestral families from 2013 (which has updated information). So I need to make sure to get the Photo images into the right tree on MyHeritage - the one that I'm syncing with FTB 7.0.
2) I tagged each image by clicking on each one, then on the screen below I clicked on the blue "Add a person" in the "In the photo" area on the right. That opened the popup box headed "Set the position and enter the name of the person in this photo". I typed in the name "samuel vaux" and a list of about 10 persons with that name on my MyHeritage website (in BOTH databases) appeared.:
On the image above, you can see that Samuel Vaux (1816-1880) appears twice. If I select the highlighted one (at the bottom), that is the one in my FTB 7.0 database. If I select that, it should sync back to Family Tree Builder 7.0.
I did the same process for the other images I have for Samuel Vaux, adding a total of seven images. Then I checked the Profile page for Samuel Vaux in my "Seaver-Leland Family Tree" database:
As you can see, the seven images are attached to the Person Profile. However, they are not attached to Events.
3) I wanted to see if the Photos would be synchronized to my Family Tree Builder 7.0 database. Here is the Family Tree view in FTB 7.0:
The "Project is out of sync" informs me that I should sync before I do anything else. So I did. It didn't take long.
4) Here is the Profile page for Samuel Vaux (1816-1880) when I click on his "Profile" link:
|All of the Photo images are there, and in the same order. That was no surprise to me - the above image connects directly to the MyHeritage Person Profile page on the website. |
5) All of those Photos should appear in the "Photos" menu button:
I have no clue why the Photos didn't show up - I picked "All People." I went to the Search field and typed in Samuel Vaux and there were no Photos for him. I looked at the Family Tree Builder 7.0 manual (from the "Help" link) and it didn't help me much - it says I should be able to see the Photos.
6) So my Lessons Learned here are:
* There is a Family Tree Builder 7.0 Help manual - you have to download it (only 482 pages) and then try to find what you want to do.
* It takes quite awhile (at least 10 hours yesterday) for Photos attached in FTB 7.0, then synced to MyHeritage, to be reviewed and approved by the website.
* Tagging the Photos can be done in MyHeritage to specific persons. More than one person can be tagged in an image.
* If you have more than one family tree database on the MyHeritage website, you need to make sure that you Tag the Photo to the right person in the right database.
* It's a good idea to do testing, RTFM, and consult with experts before you write and complain about it online.
My thanks to MyHeritage personnel for contacting me yesterday about my problems. They have been very responsive to me, and I appreciate it.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/04/family-tree-builder-70-software_30.html
Copyright (c) 2013, Randall J. Seaver