2) The GOBLIN surname - there are 51 entries. It looks like there are no real GOBLIN family trees - only isolated GOBLIN women who married men with other surnames.
3) The SKELETON surname - there are 438 entries but few trees with many generations. Methinks these are mostly misspelled SKELTON people (68,129).
4) The FRANKENSTEIN surname - There are 1,342 entries, and most of them are of German origin. One family that settled in Rochester NY is here. There is one Frank N. Stein here.
5) The WITCH surname - there are 139 entries, but no long family lines in the database. Some of those listed were accused of witchcraft.
6) The PUMPKIN surname - there are 73 entries, but no long family lines. There are 351 entries for a given name of PUMPKIN.
7) The HAUNT surname - there are only 6 entries, none with a family line. There are 2 persons with the first name of HAUNT.
8) The SPOOK surname - there are 28 entries, and only one with a three generation family. There are 42 entries for people with a given name of Spook and 28 for the first name of Spooky (at least one dog!)
9) The GHOUL surname - there are 47 entries.
10) The JACKO surname has 333 entries, and there are 99 entries with a given name of Jacko..
11) The LANTERN surname has 297 entries. But there are no people named Jack O. Lantern.
12) There are 254 CAT surname entries and 11,268 CATT entries. There is one Black Cat name.
13) There are 20 SCARY surname entries - many of them still living. There are 80 entries for a given name of Scary.
14) There are 56 DRACULA surname entries, many of them are related to The Count. There are 50 entries for a given name of DRACULA.
15) There are 536 CEMETERY entries, some of them the name of actual cemetery databases.
16) There are 4,245 GRAVE surname entries, and 313,214 GRAVES surname entries.
17) There are 147,785 entries for the surname COFFIN.
18) There are 2,498 MONSTER entries. No Monster Mash, though (there are 3,015 surname entries for MASH). There are no "Boris Pickett" persons, but there are 13 entries for BOBBY PICKETT.
19) There are 926 SKULL surname entries.
20) There are 95 SPIRIT entries. There are 3 entries for a Holy Spirit with a spouse named Mary, with a child.
21) There are 544,479 surname entries for WEBB, but only 5 entries for "Spider WEBB" (all nicknames)
22) There are 208 entries for SCREECH surname. And 44 entries for a given name or nickname of Screech.
23) There are 5 entries for HALLOWEEN surname - even a Mary Halloween. There are 110 given name entries for HALLOWEEN (including maiden names).
24) There are no VAMPIRE surname entries, and 1 given name entry.
25) There are 18,764 BROOM surname entries.
26) There are 149 BAT surname entries, 16,822 BATT surname entries and 10,829 BATTY surname entries. There are 725 entries for BATTY as a given name.
27) There are no ZOMBIE surname entries or given name entries. Whew!
28) There are 54,197 entries for the surname BLOOD.
29) The surname DEATH has 11,225 entries.
30) The TRICK surname has 3,935 surname entries and TREAT surname has 62,237 entries!
31) he surname WARLOCK has 75 entries, but there are 40 given name entries
32) There are 2 surname entries for WEREWOLF, both married to the same Lucky guy!
33) There are 78 given name entries for BOO.
Enough!! What other Hallowe'en oriented surnames can you think of? Are they in WorldConnect?
Happy Hallowe'en!! Trick or Treat? Ancestry.com published a press release back in 2006 with Hallowe'en census entries - see the list here.
The Ancestry.com blog published some entries from death records in Who would name their daughter Halloween? Just check the records.
John D. Reid posted some Hallowe'en names and occupations in Halloween fun from Ancestry.ca in 2009.
Craig Manson posted Halloween Census Whacking in 2009 for some of the names above.
Chris Dunham did some Census Whacking on Hallowe'en names in Censuswhacking for Halloween in 2005.
Did I miss a post on Hallowe'en names? If so, please tell me and I'll add it to my list.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/10/halloween-name-whacking-revisited.html
Copyright (c) 2012, Randall J. Seaver