1) I went to my list of People I'm Watching in FamilySearch Family Tree and clicked on the "Changes to People I'm Watching" and scrolled down until I found some entries for sources attached by FamilySearch:
There's no indication on the screen above with information about the source provider. However, I can click on each link and more information opens providing the full source citation and the provider:
Prevent an incorrect merge
Understand why bad merges occurred"
In this case, several Sources were added.
I also checked the wife of Benjamin Seaver, Martha Whitney:
4) Most of these "added sources" that I've looked at to date seem to be attached to the correct persons. A few were for the wrong person (same name, son of the father, and son to the mother) and I need to sort that out again.
A lot (maybe all) of these source additions are dated 6 November 2014 and just showed up on my Changes list.
I appreciate that the Family Tree is adding source citations to person profiles to records of the person, that will help many researchers find sources they might otherwise miss.
It may be that these are intended to "help" researchers identify accurate sources for persons that they, or others, have merged in the past. Of course, if the person is not on the researcher's "Watch List," then the researcher won't know about it, unless they see it in the person profile.
It would help if the potential problem was identified rather than just providing the source and seeming to say "check these out, you may have screwed up."
5) A terminology point here - the IGI is not an "Original Source," and neither is a published vital records book in alphabetical order (which is what most of the ones I've seen added are). No index is an "Original Source" by definition! They are "Derivative Sources" per the accepted definition, at least by the professional community, usually derived from town clerk records that may or may not be Original Sources. FamilySearch should use the appropriate terminology in their Knowledge Base.
6) I hope that FamilySearch will provide more explanation as to why these sources have been added to person profiles in the FamilySearch Family Tree. Users need to understand:
* Why they were added, but, more importantly, what to do with them!
* How does FamilySearch know that profiles were wrongly merged?
* How can I judge that the profiles were correctly merged?
* Who is responsible for separating improperly merged persons?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Thank you, Joanne, for the question, and I hope we get more answers!
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/03/familysearch-is-adding-igi-extracted.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver