When I checked yesterday, I had two DNA Circles (screens shown):
Note that I blanked out the pictures of my DNA matches per genetic genealogy standards.
I clicked on one of them (the two persons above are husband and wife; two screens shown):
The top of the DNA Circle page is informational - it tells me:
"You are a member of James Richman's DNA Circle, a group of 3 of his probable descendants. He is your 2nd Great-Grandfather.
- Circle members share DNA with other members of the circle
- Circle members all have family tree evidence that they are direct descendants of James Richman."
So there are three of us in this DNA Circle (again I blanked out the other identification data). I'm not sure what "Emerging" means under "Circle Membership confidence." The orange "X" under "Raltionship to Randy Seaver" appears to indicate that I share segments of DNA on specific chromosomes with each of these two persons.
I have corresponded via email with both of these matches in years past. It is good to know that our lines from James Richman and Hannah Rich are essentially "proved" by the DNA matches.
I clicked on the "View Relationship" button and saw the relationship paths from the common ancestor:
So this person is my third cousin according to our Ancestry Member Trees.
My relationship to the other DNA Circle member is a second cousin once removed.
Apparently, that is as far as I can go in AncestryDNA.
Since AncestryDNA doesn't tell us which chromosome and segment start and end numbers, or even the segment length, I can't use that information to find other cousins who might have some or all or more of that same segment data. To see this information, which is extremely useful according to the DNA experts, I have to convince my two cousins above to export their DNA dataset to a file and then import it into a third-party software program such as GEDMatch.
This chromosome browser type of information is one of the major item that AncestryDNA does not provide. Another is the amount of matching DNA, in centiMorgan terms or some other metric, can be very helpful, and it is probably how AncestryDNA determines the stated relationships.
Do they think we are "too stupid" to understand what the data means, or how we can use it? It can't be "too hard to do" because other companies do it well. Even if, say, 80% of the AncestryDNA users are uninterested in, or can't understand, information from a chromosome browser, it is still useful for the other 20% who yearn for one - and that's about, what 160,000 users (if 20% is the right fraction).
Ancestry has, by far, the best family tree matching setup, but it limits itself on the DNA analysis end by not providing a chromosome browser. It is very useful to identify which chromosome segments are passed from specific ancestors. Hundreds of thousands of users received the chromosome browser and centiMorgan information on FamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe (including myself) and can try to understand it. But those sites don't have the family tree coverage that Ancestry.com has. I find it strange that AncestryDNA doesn't provide the state of the art in DNA information to its customers.
Note: I am not any kind of expert on this topic, but I do read blogs by Blaine Bettinger, CeCe Moore, Kitty Cooper, Angie Bush, Roberta Estes, Debbie Wayne and others on the subject.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/03/i-finally-have-some-dna-circles-on.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver