"You are invited to join the General Society of Mayflower Descendants. It is required to only document one Mayflower ancestor and as you probably know the first five generations are already proven. With your vast knowledge of genealogy our membership would certainly be beneficial to others."
I decided that I should look through the information I have and determine what I am missing in my White line. I think that I need proof (a birth record, a marriage record, a death record) to document each parent-child and spousal relationship. Failing that, a probate record, a baptism record, a land record, etc. might be useful.
Here is my line, and the documents that I have for my Mayflower line from William White (1590-1621) to myself - assuming that the first five generations are "proved" by the "Silver book" for William White. Two published works are helpful for this analysis:
A) Ruth Wilder Sherman and Robert Moody Sherman, edited by Robert S. Wakefield, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, Descendants of the Pilgrims Who Landed at Plymouth, Mass. December 1620; Volume 13, Family of William White (Plymouth, Mass. : General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1997).
B) Ruth Wilder Sherman, "Some Descendants of Jonathan White of Dartmouth MA and of Humphrey White of Glocester RI," The American Genealogist, Volume 56, Number 2 (April 1981), Pages 113-118.
The documents by generation:
1) William White (1590-1621) - number 1 in the White book.
Spouse: Susanna --?-- (1594-1675) - wife of number 1
2) Peregrine White (1620-1704) - number 3 in White book
Spouse: Sarah Bassett (1628-1711) - wife of number 3
3) Sylvanus White (1667-1688) - number 12 in White book
Spouse: Deborah --?-- (1667-????) - wife of number 12.
4) William White (1683-1780) - number 53 in White book. Will mentions son William White.
Spouse: Elizabeth Cadman (1685-1768) - wife of number 53.
5) William White (1708-1780) - number 201 in White book. Will mentions son Jonathan White.
Spouse: Abigail Thurston (1700-????) - wife of number 201.
6) Jonathan White (1732-1804) - number 201-iii in White book, land and probate records discussed in the Sherman article. Will mentions son Humphrey White.
Spouse: Abigail Wing (1734-1806) - mentioned in Sherman article.
7) Humphrey White (1757-1814) - No birth record known. Death information from probate record. Land and probate records discussed in the Sherman article. Marriage record from Massachusetts Town Records for Dartmouth, Mass. Son Jonathan White was mentioned in his probate and guardianship records; Sybil White was appointed his guardian.
Spouse: Sybil Kirby (1764-1848) - mentioned in Sherman article. A note from Jonathan White was listed in the probate account.
8) Jonathan White (1806-1850) - mentioned in Sherman article. No birth record known. Death from certified death record in Killingly, Connecticut. Probate records names sons Henry and Albert White, and wife Maranda. No marriage record known.
Spouse: Miranda Wade (1805-1850) - mentioned in Sherman article. No birth record known. No death record known - cemetery record and 1850 mortality census record available.
9) Henry White (1824-1885) - no birth record (approximate year derived from Oatley surname book and census records). Death record from Killingly, Connecticut town register book. Marriage record from Barbour Collection book - Thompson, Connecticut. No probate record found.
Spouse: Amy Oatley (1826-1864) - birth record (approximate year) from Oatley surname book. Death record from Killingly, Connecticut town register book.
10) Julia E. White (1848-1913) - birth date from Putnam, Connecticut death certificate, which names parents; Death from death certificate and obituary, which names parents. Marriage record from marriage certificate from Killingly, Connecticut and Killingly town register.
Spouse:Thomas Richman/Richmond (1848-1917) - baptism from Hilperton, Wiltshire Civil Registration, Death record from Massachusetts Vital Records, and obituary.
11) Alma Bessie Richmond (1882-1962) - birth certificate from Killingly, Connecticut birth certificate, Death certificate from Leominster, Mass. Marriage certificate from Leominster, Mass.
Spouse: Fred Walton Seaver (1876-1942) - birth certificate from Leominster, Mass. Death certificate from Leominster, Mass.
12) Frederick Walton Seaver (1911-1983) - Birth certificate from Fitchburg, Mass. Death certificate from San Diego, Calif. Marriage certificate from San Diego County, Calif.
Spouse: Betty Virginia Carringer (1919-2002) - Birth certificate from San Diego County, Calif., Death certificate from San Diego County, Calif.
13) Randall Jeffrey Seaver (1943-????) - Birth certificate from San Diego County, Calif.
Assuming that the first six generations are covered by the Mayflower book, the problems I think that I have with documents for this line are:
* Generation 7: birth record of Humphrey White
* Generation 8: birth record of Jonathan White (1806-1850), and marriage record of Jonathan White and Miranda Wade.
* Generation 9: birth record of Henry White (1824-1885).
* Generation 10: birth record of Julia E. White (1848-1913).
Four of my Mayflower passengers go through the Henry White/Amy Oatley bottleneck and are not as well documented by me as this line is.
I'm a bit hampered by not having certain knowledge of the documentation requirements for the GSMD. I doubt that I have enough documentation to join the Society at this time. I may be wrong - I would appreciate any comments from my readers.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/11/do-i-have-enough-information-to-join.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.