I have a paper article in my surname notebooks for "The English Ancestry of Henry Adams," written by Rev. Hiram Francis Fairbanks, and published on pages 320-322 of Volume 59, Number 3 of the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, a quarterly journal. Although I have a print copy of this article, it is also available online at the www.AmericanAncestors.org website.
Previous posts in this series include:
* Creating Source Citations in RootsMagic 7 - Post 1: New Master Source (posted 12 January 2016).
In the first post, I demonstrated how to create a new "Master Source" using the NEHGR article noted above.
In this post, I'm going to add a "Source Detail" to complete the source citation for the baptism of Henry Adams in Somerset, England.
1) In the "Edit Person" screen for Henry Adams (1583-1646), I see that I have a baptism date and estimated birth date for Henry Adams, but have no source citation:
2) With the Birth Fact highlighted, I clicked the "Source" button (in the right-hand panel, below "Note") and the "Birth sources for Henry Adams" screen opened:
3) On the screen above, I have a choice - either the "Add new source" button or the "Cite existing source" button on the row under the "Birth sources for Henry Adams" line.
I have already entered the Master Source to the Source List, so I want to "Cite existing source." I clicked that button and the "Master Source List" screen opened. I typed (didn't click anywhere, just typed) in "adams" and the list went right to the Master Source I created yesterday:
4) I picked the "Adams of Braintree - by Fairbanks (NEHGR v59)" master source, and clicked on the "Select" button (at the bottom right of the screen), and saw:
The "Edit source" screen opened, with the "Master Source" (yellow background area) fields filled in.
In the green background area, I can enter the "Source Details" information in the "Page" field for the specific Fact - in this case, the birth fact. On the screen above, I entered:
Page: page 321, Henry Adams baptism entry
The added information shows up in the source citation elements on the right-hand side of the "Edit Source" screen. To complete the source citation, I clicked on the "OK" button at the bottom right of the screen above.
5) The completed source citation elements are then shown on the "Birth sources for Henry Adams" screen:
The completed source elements for this source citation are:
Footnote: Rev. Hiram Francis Fairbanks, "The English Ancestry of Henry Adams of Braintree," New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Volume 59, Number 3 (July 1905): page 321, Henry Adams baptism entry.
Short Footnote: Fairbanks, "The English Ancestry of Henry Adams of Braintree," page 321, Henry Adams baptism entry.
Bibliography: Fairbanks, Rev. Hiram Francis. "The English Ancestry of Henry Adams of Braintree." New England Historical and Genealogical Register Volume 59, Number 3 (July 1905): Pages 320-322.
6) One note about this particular "Source Details" part of the source citation process -- some "Source Details" have more than one field - in this case, there is only one of them.
7) Am I done? No! There are still fields to enter for this source citation, which I will cover in the next post on Thursday.
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver