This week's Treasure is the 1881 marriage record of John McCracken and Annie Samantha Bale in Blairstown, New Jersey:
The extracted information from this record includes (handwritten information in italics):
1. FULL NAME OF HUSBAND: John Mc Cracken
Place of Residence: Blairstown, Warren Co., N.J .
2. Age, nearest birthday: 28 Number of his Marriage: 1st
3. Occupation: Painter Country of Birth: U.S.A.
4. Name of Father: John McCracken Country of Birth: U.S.A.
5. Maiden Name of Mother: Sarah Hopler Country of Birth: U.S.A.
1. FULL MAIDEN NAME OF WIFE: Annie Samantha Bale Country of Birth: U.S.
2. Place of Residence: Blairstown, Warren Co., N.J.
3. Age, nearest birthday: 25 Trade: Dressmaker
4. Last name, if a widow: ---------------
5. Name of Father: John Bale Country of Birth: U.S.
6. Maiden name of Mother: Euphemia Foster Country of Birth: U.S.
1. Date (in full): Dec^r 24th 1881 Place: Blairstown, Warren Co., N.J.
2. In presence of: John A Carter, Blairstown N.J.
Emma Carter "
3. Signature of Minister: E. Meacham Minister in the M.E. Church
The source citation for this record is:
State of New Jersey, Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Marriage Certificates and Indexes, 1878-1940, Marriage Return Certificate #M-1, Place #95 (Warren County), John McCracken and Annie Samantha Bale marriage, 24 December 1881; New Jersey State Archives, Trenton, N.J.
Samantha Ann Foster Bale was born 23 April 1855 in Stillwater, Sussex County, New Jersey, to Euphemia Foster, without a named father. The apparent father, according to this record was John Bale. She was known as:
* Samantha Foster (Birth record),
* Ann L. Buit (1860 U.S. Census),
* Samantha Bales (1870 U.S. Census),
* Annie C. Foster (1880 U.S. Census),
* Annie Samantha Bale (Marriage record),
* Anna S. McCracken (1900 and 1910 U.S. Census).
Samantha Ann Foster (Bale) McCracken was the granddaughter of Sophia (Auble) (Foster) Hulse (1805-1887), the sister of my 2nd great-grandfather, David Auble (1817-1894). She is my second cousin twice removed.
My thanks to Michelle Tucker Chubenko for finding this record for me at the New Jersey State Archives.
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver