The snippet for the Leland family:
The extracted information for this family at 1287 37th Avenue in San Francisco from the record is:
* Sebert Leland - head of household, male, white, age 62, married, not attending school, completed 8 years of school, born Wisconsin, resided in same house in 1935, engaged in work for pay during last week, worked 40 hours last week, occupation is Distributing Dept, employer is U.S. Navy, worked 52 weeks in 1939, Income in 1939 was $2784.
* Amelia Leland - provided the information, wife, female, white, age 52, married, completed 2 years of high school, born Idaho, resided in same house in 1935, did not work for wages or looked for work last week, worked in the home, no occupation.
* Alda Leland - daughter, female, white, age 25, divorced, completed 3 years of high school, born in California, resided in same place in 1935, did not work last week, was seeking work, worked 20 weeks in the last year, occupation was a sales clerk, employer was a retail department store,
* Juanita Leland - daughter, female, white, age 35, single, completed 2 years of high school, born in Montana, resided in same house in 1935, worked for wages last week, worked 40 hours last week, occupation is stenographer, works in a hardware company, worked 52 weeks in 1939, Income in 1939 was $1200.
* Diane Leland - grandda[ughter], female, white, age 4, single, born California.
* Stewart Dornsife - brother-in-law, male, white, age 33, married, two years of college, born Pennsylvania, resided in same house in 1935, worked last week, 40 hours, occupation is accountant, works in indemnity Insurance Company, worked 52 weeks in 1939, income was $1740 in 1939.
The source citation for this record is:
1940 United States Census, San Francisco County, California, population schedule, San Francisco: ED 38-405, Page 61A, Household #10, Leland Sebert household; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), citing National Archives Microfilm Publication T627, Roll 313.
The name of the head of household was recorded as Leland Sebert rather than Severt Leland. I found it only by using first names of the daughters and parents names.
Severt O. (1878-1940) and Amelia A. (Brocke) (1884-1975) Leland are my wife's grandparents, and Leo Severt Leland (1911-2002) is my wife's father. He married in 1937 and is residing with his wife in his own residence.
The granddaughter, Diane, is the daughter of Alda (Leland) Iacopetti who was divorced in 1940.
I was surprised by this record - I have no clue who Stewart Dornsife is - is he a brother-in-law of Severt Leland? Is he the husband of a sibling of Severt or of his wife Amelia (Brocke) Leland? There is a marriage record for Stuart Dornsife and Pearl Bedigan in alameda County, California in 1931. Pearl Dornsife is enumerated in 1940 in San Francisco listed as a married sister, whose father was Harry Bedigan. I have no idea how Pearl is related to either Severt or Amelia (Brocke) Leland! I love mysteries!