My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for the genealogy carnivals, or other meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Going to Salt Lake City by Ruby Coleman on The You Go Girls Genealogy blog. The YGGirls are off to SLC soon, and they give us some guidelines on how to plan before they go, and what they're going to do there! Two weeks sounds like fun.
* A mess of documents - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Conclusion by the writer of The New Genealogist blog. TNG has a good file naming convention for her record images on her computer.
* WDYTYA – Episode 2×07 – The Nitpicker’s Version by Banai Feldstein on The Ginger Jewish Genealogist blog. Banai expertly analyzes the Gwyneth Paltrow episode.
* Great Swedish Adventure ~ Part 12, Part 13, Part 14, Part 15 and Part 16 by Cheryl Fleming Palmer on the Heritage Happens blog. Cheryl describes the trip for the interview, the interview itself, the wait to hear if she will be on the Swedish genealogy TV program, then the news and the reaction. Well done, Cheryl!
* Expanding a webinar's reach by Pat Richley-Erickson on the DearMYRTLE's Genealogy Blog. Pat has excellent ideas about using Webinars for society programs.
* Search Strategies: Ancestry – Part 1, Part 2 by Julie Cahill Tarr on the GenBlog. Julie discusses search strategies for Ancestry.com - excellent discussion and commentary.
* USA State Census Records Found at FamilySearch.org by Leland Meitzler on the GenealogyBlog. Leland provides another compendium post on FamilySearch databases - I love these!
* A Web Image Primer by Denise Barrett Olson on The Moultrie Creek Gazette blog. Denise summarizes everything you need to know about images on the Internet. Nice job!
* Bringing Genealogy Societies into the 21st Century: Recap by Amy Crow on the Amy's Genealogy, Etc., Blog. Amy recaps the first show on the My Society Radio channel - some excellent advice here for societies!
* Getting others involved in your genealogical society by Paula Stuart-Warren on the Paula's Genealogical Eclectica blog. Paula has excellent suggestions for local societies to follow to bring their membership into the 21st century.
Several other genea-bloggers wrote weekly pick posts this week, including:
* Follow Friday Newsletter: 22 April 2011 by Greta Koehl on Greta's Genealogy Bog blog. Greta also collected all of this week's Money and Genealogy posts. Thanks!
* Follow Friday: This Weeks Favs by Jen on the Climbing My Family Tree blog.
* Best Bytes for the Week of April 22, 2011 by Elizabeth O'Neal on the Little Bytes of Life blog.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 860 genealogy bloggers using Google Reader, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.