My ancestral line back to Joanna --?--is:
1. Randall J. Seaver
2. Frederick Walton Seaver (1911-1983)
3. Betty Virginia Carringer (1919-2002)
4. Frederick Walton Seaver (1876-1942)
5. Alma Bessie Richmond (1882-1962)
10. Thomas Richmond (1848-1917)
11. Julia White (1848-1913)
22. Henry Arnold White ((1824-1885)
23. Amy Frances Oatley (1826-before 1870)
46. Jonathan Oatley (1790-1872)
47. Amy Champlin (1798-1865)
94. Joseph Champlin (1758-1850)
95. Nancy Kenyon (1765-????)
188. Elijah Champlin (1730-1779)
189. Phoebe Card (1730-1787)
376. William Champlin, born 1687 in Westerly, Washington, Rhode Island, United States; died after 1778 in Rhode Island, United States. He was the son of 752. Christopher Champlin and 753. unknown. He married before 1720 in Rhode Island, United States.
377. Joanna, born about 1700 in Rhode Island, United States; died in about 1760 in Rhode Island.
Children of William Champlin and Joanna are: William Champlin (1720-1778); Michael Champlin (1723-1786); John Champlin (1727-????); Anna Champlin (1729-????); Elijah Champlin (1730-1779); Dorcas Champlin (1732-????); Temperance Champlin (1738-????).
There are at least 113 Ancestry Member Trees with this couple, and most of them say that Joanna's maiden surname is Watson (one says Warson). None of those trees lists parents for Joanna. There are at least 18 family trees on RootsWeb WorldConnect with this couple, and none of them lists parents for Joanna.
There is a John Watson (1651-1728) and Dorcas Gardiner (1656-1702) family residing in Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island in the 1680 to 1700 time frame. Several Ancestry Member Trees list five children for them, including John, William, Ann, Francis and Herodias Watson.
I note that Joanna (--?--) had a daughter, Dorcas, which was a relatively uncommon name in New England, but was not rare. If one of the Watson children had been named Temperance or Elijah, or if one of the Champlin children had been named Francis or Herodias, then I would be a bit more convinced.
I have not researched the Watson family at all. I note that there is a book compiled by George Davis, The American Family of John Watson of the Narragansett Country, R.I. (Kingston, R.I.: The Pettaquamscutt Historical Society, 1983). I should try to find that book on my next trip to the Carlsbad Library or the Family History Library.
I have chosen to not include Watson as Joanna's surname at this time.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/03/surname-saturday-lnu-england.html
Copyright (c) 2012, Randall J. Seaver