My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for the genealogy carnivals, or other meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Assessing the reliability of a statement by Michael Hait on the Planting the Seeds blog. Michael reviews the questions that need to be asked and answered in order to assess reliability.
* Stay Focused on the Research You Start by Barry Ewell on Barry's Genealogy Blog. Barry addresses the ideal here - does anybody really do this?
* The Importance of Sources by Michael J. Leclerc on the Mocavo Genealogy Blog. Excellent article, and advice, on the subject!
* Living People in Your Family Tree by Aaron Orr on the Ancestry.com Blog. Aaron explains how Ancestry.com determines if someone in your tree might be living or not.
* Paper vs. Digital by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. It's not an either-or choice, but there are good reasons to have digital resources.
* Using the Kindle Fire for Genealogy - Families and Using the Kindle Fire for Genealogy - Ancestry by Julie Cahill Tarr on the GenBlog blog. Julie is reviewing genealogy applications for the Kindle Fire.
* Understanding Copyright vs. the Creative Commons by James Tanner on the TechTips blog. James helps us understand these issues.
* The First Ten Things You Learn About Genealogy by Diane Boumenot on the One Rhode Island Family blog. Nice list! Maybe #11 should be "It's Not all on the Internet!"
Several genea-bloggers wrote weekly pick posts and news summary posts this week, including:
* Monday Morning Mentions by Lynn Palermo on The Armchair Genealogist blog.
* Ruth's Recommendations by Ruth Blair on The Passionate Genealogist blog.
* Friday Finds - 04/13/12 by Julie Cahill Tarr on the GenBlog blog.
* Notable Genealogy Blog Posts, 15 April 2012 by Michael Hait on the Planting the Seeds blog.
* Fab Finds for You - 15 April 2012 by Lisa Frank on the 1 Ancestry 2 Little Time blog.
I encourage readers to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Google Reader, RSS feed or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1200 genealogy bloggers using Google Reader, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/04/best-of-genea-blogs-8-to-14-april-2012.html