The newest and most interesting feature of RootsMagic 6 is the "Online Publishing" feature. The RootsMagic site says this about it:
Publish Online -- Publish your family information to My.RootsMagic.com; Dynamic sites with pedigree, family and individual views for each person; Can include notes, sources, and media for each person
I succeeded in creating a website for my genealogy and family history using RootsMagic 6, and published it on the http://my.rootsmagic.com/rjseaver site. You can go look at it.
Here is the process I used in RootsMagic 6:
1) In any View, click on the "Internet" menu item and select "Publish online:"
2) The "Publish Online" window opens, and you have to be registered for a My.RootsMagic.com website - if you need to register, then click on the "Manage My RootsMagic.com account link and register. When you have an account, then click on the "Publish my information online" link:
3) The first step is to design the home page for your site. Put in Title for the home page, an Introduction (if you want), add a picture for your site if you wish, and added my contact information. Here is the Home Page I came up with:
4) I clicked on the "Next" button and the next screen wanted me to select the information that I wanted to include. I selected no Notes, but Sources and Photos, and did not hide living people. I added Genea-Musings as a link on my home page:
5) When I clicked the "Generate site" button, I had to select the people to include. I selected myself, marked it, clicked on "Mark group" and selected "Ancestors of highlighted person," all of my ancestral families (but not collateral lines) for 13 generations (not shown):
6) I am now ready to publish my research to the My.RootsMagic.com website. The screen below permits me to review the site in my browser, or publish the site:
The web page elements are created (two progress bars are not shown, one for "Names," and one for Persons").
7) Finally, I can click on the "Publish" button on the screen below...but a "Ready to Publish" screen appears with a link to the terms and conditions for using the My.RootsMagic.com site. I did read them...
8) And the website was uploaded.
I clicked "Finished" and went back to my RootsMagic database to add more content, sources and media.
My web site files took several minutes to upload to the My.RootsMagic.com site. When I look at my file folder with the files, I see that over 9,500 files were uploaded and the overall size is 23.3 mb. The RootsMagic 6 webinar said that the limit was 50 mb.
I cannot edit or modify the web site pages - I can only replace them. I tried to create more than one family tree using different file names and selected persons, but the second one replaced the first one. Consequently, I replaced the second file with the file uploaded for this blog post.
I will highlight the website in the next post in this series. You can get a sneak peak at Randy Seaver's Genealogy and Family History (13 Generations) at: http://my.rootsmagic.com/rjseaver Enjoy! Isn't it pretty?
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/11/exploring-rootsmagic-6-post-2-online.html
Copyright (c) 2012, Randall J. Seaver