* Finding Mocavo.com Record Collections for Free Searching (posted 11 Oxtober 2013)
The Search fields are:
* Ancestor's First Name (with a "Nicknames & Alternates" check box)
* Last Name (or maiden) (with a "Similar Settings" check box)
* Event Type - choose Any, Birth, Marriage, Death
* Range (select from Exact up to =/- 10 years)
* Exclusions (names, websites)
There is a link to "Add Another Event"
I added information to the search fields:
* Ancestor's First Name = frederick (I checked the "Nicknames & Alternates" box)
* Last Name = seaver (I kept the "Similar spellings" box unchecked)
* Event = Birth, Year = 1911, Range = +/- 2 years, Location = massachusetts
* Event = Death, Year = 1983, Range = Exact, Location = california
Here is the filled in search box:
After clicking on the green "Search" button, I received two matches:
* Social Security Death Index for Frederick Seaver (1911-1983)
* Genea-Musings post for My Dad - Fred Seaver (1911-1983)
Those appear to be the only two indexed records that Mocavo.com found. I'm not surprised, because I specified both a year and a place for the birth and death entries in the search field.
Below those two matches is a box that says "We found more results using the following variations:"
Here's the screen shot of it:
I clicked on the green "2 Results" button and saw:
It actually found 3 more results by searching for only some of the search field requests. The next 3 matches are:
* A Genea-Musings post in the 11/30/08 - 12/7/08 archive
* A Genea-Musings post in the 11/23/08 - 11/30/08 archive
* A sketch in the Mocavo Family Trees (in Randy Seaver's Trees) collection for Betty Virginia Seaver (Frederick Seaver's wife)
2) I decided that I had over specified my search terms, and I wondered what I had missed by specifying a birth year and location and a death year and location.
So I kept the First Name and Last Name settings, but added:
* Keywords = san diego
* Event Tyope = Any, Location = california
The search field (before the search) looked like this:
I clicked on the green "Search" button, and received 479 results:
With Genea-Musings excluded from the search, I received 21 search results: