* The 1858 Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 1: Benjamin Phillips Testimony (10 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 2: Jeremiah Slack's Testimony (11 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 3: Testimony of 4 More Witnesses (12 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 4: Testimony of 10 More Witnesses (13 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 5: Testimony of the Victim's Wife (16 June 2014)
The article starts in the right-hand column of Page 1 above, continues on to most of Page 2, and then finishes in the 30 January 1858 edition of the newspaper on pages 1 and 2. The first page of the 23 January 1858 issue is at http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=9AjqDp0R1qcC.
I am transcribing the articles in a series of blog posts - who knows how long this will take. I hope my readers enjoy it. Note that this is a reporter's summary of the trial, not the trial court transcript.
Well - we have a murder (?) of a respected man, Aaron Seaver, in Grand Blanc, Genesee County, Michigan.
This finishes the direct testimony of the widow, Sarah Seaver. In this segment, we learned more about Mortimer's purported wife, Kate Steele, and a farm hand Bill Smith. We also learn that Aaron Seaver had some close calls in the weeks before his death, may have been poisoned, and had an argument with a neighbor.
Stay tuned!! There is more testimony of other witnesses, and some witnesses are recalled.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2014/06/the-1858-murder-trial-of-mortimer_17.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver