I wrote about the Family Tree portion of the MyHeritage mobile app last week in Technology Tuesday - MyHeritage Mobile App - Family Tree.
1) The opening screen of the MyHeritage mobile app on my iPhone looks like this:
2) I tapped on the "Research" line and I could Search the MyHeritage record databases:
On the screen above, I added information about Amos Underhill (1772-1865), one of my ancestors.
3) I tapped the "Search" button on the screen above, and a list of over 472,000 matches appeared (three screens shown below, there were many more!):
I didn't scroll too far down. The WikiTree and Geni matches are probably from my own submissions. The only record I saw in the first couple of swipes was for the 1810 U.S. Census.
There were first names other than Amos in the first 20 results, but they all had a middle initial of A.
4) I tapped on the 1810 U.S. Census item on the results list, and saw:
The search result page, including the document image, was really small, so I flicked to zoom in on it, and that was difficult to do - it did not always work well.
I was able to tap on the small orange "Full image" button (above the image on the screen above), and was able to zoom in on the entry for Amos Underhill:
I did not see a way to attach this record to Amos Underhill in my MyHeritage tree (Note: the website has this capability).
5) I was concerned that I couldn't revise my search fields, and perhaps request an exact search. Back on the third screen above, there is an icon ( >> ) next to the words "All results for Amos Underhill." That takes the user to the search fields for editing or addition, and offers an "Exact match" check box. I did not see a way to use the Advanced Search features on the app.
When I checked the box, and tapped on "Search," there were only 11 results:
6) The "Research" feature on the MyHeritage app works well, but (I think!) all a user can do with it is look at it. They cannot (I think!) attach it to a person in their tree.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2014/09/technology-tuesday-myheritage-mobile_30.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver