Your mission this week, should you decide to accept it, is to:
1) What day of the week was your Grandfather born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
2) What has happened in recorded history on your Grandfather's birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
3) What famous people have been born on your Grandfather's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
4) Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
Here's mine (I will refrain from sharing how I found things out):
1) I picked my maternal grandfather, Lyle Lawrence Carringer, who was born on 2 November 1891 in San Diego, California.
2 November 1891 was a Monday.
2) Important things in recorded history that occurred on 2 November include:
* In 1889, North and south Dakota were admitted to the Union as the 39th and 40th states.
* In 1895, the prize for the first gasoline powered race in the U.S. was $2000.
* In 1920, KDKA in Pittsburgh, starts broadcasting as the first commercial radio station.
* In 1947, Howard Hughes made the first and only flight of the Spruce Goose, the largest fixed-wing aircraft ever built.
* In 1983, President Ronald Reagan signed a bill creating Martin Luther King Jr. day.
3) Here are some of the famous people born on 2 November (I'll bet my grandfather didn't know this!):
* In 1460, King Edward V of England was born (died 1473)
* In 1734, Daniel Boone was born (died 1820).
* In 1755, Marie Antoinette, wife of King Louis XVI of France, was born (died 1793).
* In 1795, James K. Polk, 11th President of the United States, was born (died 1849).
* In 1913, Burt Lancaster, an American actor was born (died 1994)
4) That's it!
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2014/10/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-sngf-what.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver