Welcome to my genealogy blog. Genea-Musings features genealogy research tips and techniques, genealogy news items and commentary, genealogy humor, San Diego genealogy society news, family history research and some family history stories from the keyboard of Randy Seaver (of Chula Vista CA), who thinks that Genealogy Research Is really FUN!
Copyright (c) Randall J. Seaver, 2006-2017.
Treasure Chest Thursday - Post 269: 1855 New York State Census for Amos Underhill Household in Aurora, N.Y.
It's Treasure Chest Thursday - time to look in my digital image files to see what treasures I can find for my family history and genealogy musings.
The treasure today is the 1855 New York State Census for the Amos Underhill household in Aurora, Erie county, New York:
The Amos Underhill household (right page):
The extraction of information about this household (taken 2 July 1855):
* Amos Underhill - age 80, male, born in New Hampshire, married, resided 43 years in this town, no occupation, a native voter, the owner of land.
* Mary Underhill - age 74, female, wife, born in N.H., married, resided 43 years in this town
* Delos Underhill - age 21, male, a grandson, born in Erie County, married, resided 21 years in this town, a farmer
* Laura Underhill - age 23, female, a grandchild, born in Madison, married, resided 17 years in this town
* Casper Archer - age 16, male, a servant, born in Germany, resided 6/12 years in this town, a laborer, an alien.
The source citation for this record is:
New York, State Census, 1855, Erie County, Aurora town, First election district, page 52 (penned), Amos Underhill household; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 2 July 2015), citing Census of the state of New York, for 1855. Microfilm. New York State Archives, Albany, New York.
This record lists Amos as age 80, but he was really age 83, since he was born in April 1772. His wife, Mary (Metcalf) Underhill was born in 1780. She died in October 1855.